Best place to get chemicals?

beemer

Mar 29, 2016
Spring, Texas
Thankfully the pool builder left us with a pretty nice startup kit that's kept is in chemicals for almost two months. We are however starting to run low on muratic acid, and need to buy baking soda, bleach, borax, etc. Figured I'd just grab most of it at Walmart, but one of my neighbors mentioned she picks up some stuff at Costco and has a Subscribe and Save at Amazon for some things as well. I also heard someone else mention they buy Muratic acid at ACE HW? I would have never thought to look there. So who does generally have the best prices? And how much should I expect to pay for the various chemicals you typically need for maintaining the pool?

Muriatic acid is from Lowes or Home Depot. In the paint department. 31% 20 baum. About $7

You don't need to buy baking soda or Borax yet, until you *need* them. Some never need them. IF you decide you need them get the big honking bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda (even shows a pool on the front) at Costco, Walmart or someplace like that. I think I paid about $4? it lasts forever.

Borax is from the laundry aisle at H.E.B.. about $3

Bleach is the unscented, non-specialty, plain bleach.. 8.25% or greater. Prices vary so compare. Don't buy at Lowes or any place that stores it in the heat, sun or outside. Make sure you check the date codes (Julian dates usually) for the freshest stuff. Bleach loses potency so you don't want to store more than a month's worth at home.

CYA you can get in 4 pound jugs of granular at Lowes or Wallyworld. Liquid (double the price) is available at Leslies's.

Thanks for the run down! I asked for Muratic Acid at Home Depot today and they looked at me like I'd lost my mind... they sent me to the pool section & I found PH down kind of stuff, but no pure MA. Didn't think to look in the paint dept. Now I know for next time.

On the Baking Soda front I was in Walmart so grabbed a 12lb bag from the 'pool section.' It was $7.46. Found 4lb boxes in the laundry isle for $2.18 each. So would have actually been about a dollar cheaper to pick it up in the laundry dept, but since needed 9lbs I went ahead and bought the resealable package to make it easier to store.

Don't be in a rush to save big on chemistry using TFP. You will find that you simply won't use very much. We would rather have you understand why you do or don't have to add than tossing in stuff when you don't know the outcome. Stay with us....pool management is about to get easier and easier.

MA/HCL is in the paint section at my Lowes...although I haven't been a fan of the particular line of product they sell. HCL and Jacks Magic are the two products I still venture to the pool store for. Plus it let's Jan look at the inflatable flamingos and alligators. :)

At HD and Lowes the MA and chlorine will always be about 50 feet apart. So find the pool stuff and you find the chlorine. Then check around the adjacent area and you will find the bulk MA.

It is unsafe to store them adjacent to each other. The managers know that but many of the clerks have not been trained. So if they areconvenetly close tell a manager and they will fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.