I need a "hold button" before SLAM...

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
...But since I can't find one, I seem to be making it worse. I took possession of the house on Tuesday. The previous owner left the pool cloudy, dirty, with a film swirling on the top. Ew. I'm leaving for the holiday weekend, so I figured I would postpone the SLAM. My tests showed no chlorine, no CYA and low Ph. I back flushed the filter and started the pump. I've added 3 gallons on bleach and a box of borax (pool math told me more borax, but that's all I had on hand). I figured it would buy me time until next week when I can begin the SLAM and stay in top of it.

Filter presusure went up overnight, so I back flushed again and it seems to gain a little clarity. I thought I was making slow but steady progress, but now the pool is going green! I'm confused on how the slob/previous owner can completely ignore the pool and have blue cloudy water, yet I come along after reading as much as I can and trying to be smart and I LOSE ground?!

Help!

I would suggest ordering the test kit you need (psssst-its the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net) and let it get in to shipping while you're away on vacay. Then when you return you can take a moment to test what we need and plan out your SLAM. Don't add ANYthing else to the pool than plain 8.25% bleach.

Have a great long holiday weekend :)

Re: I need a "hold button" before SLAM...

Thanks. I knew the pool would be a mess, so my TF-100 arrived on Monday.

Late this morning my results were:

Ph. 6.8
FC. 2.5
CC 1.5
TC 4
TA 90

Since then I've added another gal of 8.25 bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I haven't configured a sig yet. This is an apx 12,000 gallon indoor plaster pool with a sand filter.

Ok, for an indoor pool you still need a smidgeon of CYA. I'll ask Isaac, the indoor pool Expert how much.

You really need to get that pH up NOW. It will be damaging to your pool otherwise. The pH may be far lower than 6.8 but since that is the bottom of the tester it may take repeated efforts to get it up.

Your TA is fine, so just stick with Borax (20 Mule Team) found in the laundry aisle to raise your pH.

You can also use aeration, such as fountains, water features, etc to make bubbles. Those will raise pH too... perhaps a combined effort.
IMG_0481.jpg

Well that does it, now I need a fountain. :p

I'll probably leave around noon tomorrow.

I just tetsed Ph. Assuming that's even possible at night and if it's accurate (my r0014 bottle produces weird drops), it's now 7.5.

Thanks again to both of you. I'm going to bed. I'll perform and lost all tests in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry about being late getting here, it has been a LONG day, and I just have a second, but in general the best advice around here is to maintain an indoor pool with 20-30 ppm CYA and follow the FC/CYA chart from there. This is higher CYA than is actually needed for an indoor pool, but is the minimal amount that can be detected and measured on the common CYA turbidity test.

I have to run now, but I will try to check back in on this thread tomorrow.

Thanks Isaac. I performed some tests this morning. Ph is holding at 7.5, but I've managed to spike FC to 22. I high-tailed it to Walmart and got some hth Stabilzer. I'll plug the numbers into pool math, but I keep making things worse on my own, so I'm eager for advice before I dump anything else into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

CL Br. "Orange"
Ph 7.5

FC 22
CC 1
TC 23

I hope everyone has been enjoying the holiday wkd. I'm back and ready to hit the "resume" button. The pool clarity showed some improvement when I left on Friday morning - I could see details in the bottom of the shallow end. The appearance was the same upon my return this evening.

Tests show:

Cl Br "Orange"
Ph 7.5
FC 15.5
CC 2
TC 17.5
CH 150
TA 120
CYA doesn't register

I guess I should get that CYA up. What's my next step?

Yup, get the CYA up a tad. Go slightly below recommended dosage for an increase from 10 to 20.

Your FC and CC are high. Don't add any chlorine now. Are you ventilating the pool area?

Also, can you fill out your signature in "settings" above? Thanks!

Actually I was asking about ventilation because of your high CC's. Issac-1 is the go-to guy for indoor pools so let's wait for him to chime in on how much to ventilate.

In the meantime, welcome home and brush that puppy!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just noticed your signature. Thanks. We need to up that CH. Do you have anything on hand? If it is cal-hypo, don't add that now as it will raise your FC higher. You can save it for later. If you have something else, let us know. There is no immediate panic on adding it; just soon.

I started ventilating last week because I didn't like the smell of the pool. I've been reading threads that mention chloramine, but at this point the info I'm finding is still making my head spin.

The previous owner left a stainless steel brush head. The bristles seemed way too stiff for an aged plaster surface, so I bought a telescoping pole and a plastic brush at Walmart. The brushing isn't very satisfying - the walls don't appear dirty, and I can't see anything dislodged as I go, so I haven't been very diligent about that. The more I look at brushes online, the more I see the stiff stainless type, so I guess I should give that a try.

Is it typical to not see anything dislodged by the brush?

That makes sense. I read up on brushing and brushes, so yesterday I took it more seriously. Sure enough, I brushed enough stuff loose to see it in the water. Serves me right for skipping a step. I'm going to look at new brushes and poles today. I can't reach the deep end with what I have.

When I got home last night, my FC had taken quite a dip:

FC 9
CC 2
TC 11
Ph 7.5
CYA <20

I added some more stabilizer and 20 oz of bleach, slightly less than what Pool Math told me to get back to 10. I meant to check again this morning, but I overslept.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.