Pressure side or robot?

Jun 30, 2016
Warrington, Pa
We just bought a house with a pool and it's all very new to us. The prior owners took the Polaris that was supposed to be left there so we are left without a cleaner. We have a booster pump and the company that opened the pool suggested the Polaris 3900 but the reviews online are mixed and it's the most expensive model they sell so I'm wondering if that's why it was suggested. Right now there is some sand on the bottom of the pool and we are using the vaccuum on a pole but not getting it. So I think we need to get a cleaner.

I can't seem to figure out if a pressure side or robot would be better. We are tight on the budget right now since we just bought the house. We do have stairs in the pool if that matters. There are trees around the pool as well.

Your help us much appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Go with a robot. Boosted pressure side cleaners should be going the way of the dodo ... very inefficient since you have to run 2 pumps to clean the pool.

Any suggestions on the best for my money??

ideally we would like a timer to go off daily or every other day.

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you!!

Not an expert at all, but I have had a Polaris pressure type cleaner with the booster pump as well as a Dolphin DX 4 robotic cleaner and now an Aquabot Elite (arrived today). It is amazing how much better and easier the robotic cleaners are. They have many good models starting in the 500-600 price point and going up. Depending on your pool size and what kind of debris you get will determine, along with your budget, the best cleaner. For me, things that I wanted:
1. Rubber tracks rather than wheels (because they hold better)
2. Top loading cartridges to clean out rather than the bottom loaded ones with a loose bag which is a pain to clean.
3. Long enough swivel cord
4. Good warranty
I didn't think I would use a remote since I really didn't with my old unit but after 1 day, I am kind of wishing I got the remote version of my unit. If you have a lot of trees dropping leaves, then you want a big debris bag. If it's more algae and dust/sand, then a micro filter is good. Good luck on your search and I hope you enjoy your new pool.

The only other "feature" I would add is one that can be left in the pool for multiple days. They usually have weekly timers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.