Help with low chlorine level - algae keeps coming back

May 9, 2013
Bensalem, PA
So I've been fighting with algae growing in my pool for a while now. Decided to buy a test kit and read some articles in the pool store as well as watching youtube videos on how to properly test my water.

About once a week I have to vacuum the pool to get the algae off the bottom and backwash.

I have a 24' round 4' deep above ground pool - 13,500 gallons with a DE Hayward filter. Chlorine is delivered through a floater with 3" pucks that I usually have 3 in at a time.

I just did a test of all the levels twice to make sure I have them all correct, here are my results.

Ph - 7.4
FC - 0.5 to 1
CYA - 70
CC - 0
TC - 2

I've never used bleach or liquid chlorine before, and I just want to get some advice on how much I will have to add to get the FC in the 8 range target (as noted in the CYA chart).

Thanks!

I'm not sure what test kit you've used but if you do the math- TC 2 minus FC 1 = 1 to 1.5 CCs. Your pool test results are not looking like algae killing range.

For a CYA of 70 (assuming that is correct) your FC should be 8, so with daily FC loss to the sun of aprox 2ppm, you should aim for 10ppm. Then when it drops you won't be too low which encourages algae growth.

Just so you know, 20 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.