How to clear Cloudy water

May 18, 2009
Had some mustard algae on 5-21-09 shocked the pool and it is returning to normal. But I still can't get a clear pool.
today's readings with pic 5-25-09 Anyone have some thoughts how to clear the pool? I cleaned the filter on 5-22-09.
FC=15
CC=0
TC= 5
PH=7.5
T/A=140
CH=32
CYA=70

What a difference a week makes (Note to self/all remember it will take some time for the pump and filter to do its work)

Please recheck your FC, CC & TC #'s and advise. FC + CC = TC

Recheck your CH # of 32. Did you mean 32 drops which would mean 320?

Also, shocking your pool is a process and not a one-time event. See the article in Pool School on "How to Shock Your Pool".

Basically, you reach shock level (based on your CYA, # gallons water & type algae), preferably using LC or bleach, and hold it there until you meet the three criteria to show that you are done shocking.

How did you determine it was Mustard Algae?

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. Go to User Control Panel (upper left) click on Profile & then Edit Sig. This will be a very helpful to folks answering your q's. :wink:

Hey, Fiat,

Welcome to the forum.

Miss Butterfly pretty well has you on the right track. For emphasis I'll repeat what she said about shocking....it's a process.

You must hold your FC up at shock level (close to 30ppm for your CYA) until your water is crystal clear. It sounds like you may have let it drift back down a little too soon.

I agree with all that is said. Please recheck you chlorine numbers as the math does not work.

My other suggestion would be to continue to run your pump. If the Algae is dead it will usually fall to the bottom of the pool and can be vacumed but there may still be some floating around, cloudying your water. You will need to clear the the cloudy water through filtration.

I actually had the same problem at my opening. Once I uncover the pool the water was clear but once I brushed the sides of the pool to remove algae (not mustard) the water was cloudy for 3 days. I now have it clear but it took a lot of chlorine with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.