Advice on purchasing a new unit

Feb 21, 2012
S. California
I'm replacing my pool heater and my pool guy told me that it would make sense to convert to salt water at the same time since everything will already be apart. I'm looking at this unit:

Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

though I'm a bit concerned because there were some negative reviews on Amazon about it.

1. Does anyone know anything about this unit?
2. Can anyone recommend any other units I should consider?
3. Is the reliability of salt water units just poor in general?

Thanks!

I have the AquaLogic which is just fancier version of the SWG with a controller. I am pretty happy with mine and my last SWG cell lasted almost 10 years. Some people have run into issues with the thermistor failing but it is pretty easy to replace so it really isn't a huge concern and it doesn't happen that often. I would definitely recommend the unit.

I have the AquaLogic which is just fancier version of the SWG with a controller. I am pretty happy with mine and my last SWG cell lasted almost 10 years. Some people have run into issues with the thermistor failing but it is pretty easy to replace so it really isn't a huge concern and it doesn't happen that often. I would definitely recommend the unit.

Does the controller make it easier to work with or have any additional features?

Thanks.

Yes it has a lot more features such as being able to control solar, VS/2S pumps, pool lights, valves, heater, landscape lights, etc manually or with timers. But it costs more too.

It adds automation and depending on your pool it might be nice to have full automation. It would be nice with my pool as it has solar, a spa, a gas heater, etc and I would be able to control everything without going to the pad and manually switch the valves and turn off the SWG when I want to run just the spa. I don't have automation, but is no big deal to manually adjust everything.

I have the pentair intellichlor. Although i am having some trouble maintaining my FC right now. The system along with my easytouch for automation has made managing my pool much easier. Everything has both good and bad reviews on the web. If you are thinking of full automation in the future you may wish to consider which swcg will integrate most easily.

The Hayward AQR15 is probably the most used and most recommend SWG on the forum. It's a very good choice. I've been using one for over 10 years and if it blew up today, I'd buy another like it tomorrow. The early models had a input resistor that was subject to failure, (a $2.00 part and a 15 min fix) but that issue has been resolved on the newer units.

Wow, 10 years! You must have maintained it well.... I think 5 years is about average.

I've been installing a lot of PureChlor systems... I've had one on my pool for a few years now with no problems. They are cheap, have a better warranty than most units and produce good chlorine. They only negative is the ideal salt level is a little higher than the Hayward (3500ppm - 4500ppm) and there no digital salt reader (only a 'low salt' indicator)...but those things don't bother me. I agree that the Hayward is a good unit - and has some good features (and lower salt requirements). That said, I've encountered a lot of problems with the mainboard on that unit.

BTW, re cell life: I got over seven years on my first cell. And that was before joining TFP and getting my water properly balanced. I'm now into my fifth year on the second cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.