Too much pressure trying to clean up algae.

Lewni

Jun 30, 2016
Orlando
Hi There!
Just did every test I have, unfortunately I just found we are out of the CYA test:rant:.

FC- 1
CC- 5
PH- 7.2
Alk 60 ppm
Bro- 2.2
Here is the issue(s), we have been battling algae for a while now. Our pump died before the winter and life happened so we put off fixing it until April. We knew we would have an issue but previous issues with algae had not been too bad. So we got a new pump and installed it, tested the waters went to the pool store and were on our way, one day we will finally stop believing the stores even though we knew better. My test results lined up with theirs and it was not a huge deal aside from the green. We go home fix the levels and start her up and the green dies rather quick and I scrub the walls at least once a day. After about 4-5 days it basically good to go, there was a little slime on the walls but the water was clear and all was good.
In the goes vacuum after a quick pressure test, it hooks to our skimmer. Side note: we have a seat in the deep end that has little bubble jets and is usually a good indicator to filter pressure without having to go out the gate to check it.
Once the vac was in all the issues started. It was going for maybe 45 minutes before I noticed the bubbles were not on, out to check the filter and it was way over 30, HOLY **&^$%, off it goes and time to clean.

The filter was not dirty, maybe a little bit debris on top of the filter but nothing really in it and the cleaning made no real difference in color. At a loss I put it back in after a full wash and give a try. Fresh start pressure is usually at 10psi, this time its nearly 20psi. Since we had just put in a new filter I was worried about straining it so I took off the vac and ran it with out, which brought the psi down to normal, odd. I let it run for about an hour and found the pressure too high again. This time when I went to wash the filter the top ring had split. Off to the store for a new filter and once we again we misbehaved and bought the Home Depot brand filter. Popped it in and worked good ran it through the night and checked in the morning and all was fine. I hooked up the vac and it was the same story as before, ran maybe 45 minutes and shot, not really dirty, tried again and after a couple hours pressure was high and this one split the ring as well.

Off to the pool store to get a real filter. At this point the pool is turning slightly cloudy but no green and the levels on my test look good but I had them test it anyway. They said it was all fine and that cheap filter do that, also that with the amount of algae we had it would take a couple weeks of just running the filter, oy.
The one thing I have found is that by allowing the filter to sit in the sun and dry for a day after the cleaning it works again. Since we now have 3 filters, 2 with a split ring, I have been swapping them out which works for the most part, until now.
To keep a longer story not quite as short as I would like I will sum it up with the fact that we had a swamp again last week. In a last ditch effort we remembered using the yellow gone before and had seen it in the HD and figured we would give a try.
Fixed the levels per the instructions and added the yellow out and started the process. The green is gone the walls are scrubbed and the water is circulating.

The current issue now is that I cant filter any of the stuff out until I can fix the filter issue. After that I need to tackle how to move from the yellow out process to what I guess needs to be the SLAM.
I'm so sorry for this being extra long, I really appreciate any help!!!

I would suggest you start fast by breaking out the Visa and going to TFTestkits.net for a reliable drop based pool test kit. I recommend the TF-100, you have a big pool.

Then give us current:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and we'll be able to go from there. Thanks :)

I agree with YS. Test results will confirm what I suspect is still an ongoing algae problem. Your filter will continue to clog up quickly when there is algae in the water....Even though you can't always see it. For now, use nothing but regular bleach as your sanitizer, about a 1/2 gallon each evening until you receive your kit. Once your water chemistry is corrected, your filtration will improve considerably.

Yeah, we knew that clogging would be an issue, there is definitely an algae problem. The current issue, before I can do anything about the algae is the filter.
I literally cannot go more than 20 minutes without having to take the filter out and clean it, the kicker is that I cannot put that filter back in until it has sat in the sun and thoroughly dried out, usually a day.
If I try to put that filter back in with only a good washing the pressure starts at 20, when it should be no more than 10. Even with all of the extra work swapping filters out they are not working for more than 30 minutes at a time.
I feel a bit like Sisyphus, throwing chlorine at a circulating pool, hoping to at least contain the algae outbreak until the filter dries enough to be even slightly effective at actually filtering.
Thanks for trying gang.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.