Wanting Info on new pool - have AGP now looking for inground

Jun 19, 2012
We've had an above ground pool for several years now. We are thinking of getting an inground pool. I didn't even realize there were vinyl inground pools?? Anyone have any experience with one of these pools? We are also considering a fiberglass shell. Anyone have input on either pool?

TIA
Melissia

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

There are likely 1000s of members that have in ground vinyl pools and maybe not a many with fiberglass pools.

There are a few horror stories about fiberglass pool installs you can find by searching the forum. If the installers are competent, they can be a inexpensive less expensive option though.

If the installers are competent, they are a nice inexpensive option though.

Fiberglass, to be accurate, is less expensive, not inexpensive. There are fixed costs that apply in all in-ground installations (excavation, running electrical and plumbing underground, decking, fencing, etc.) so you will save some cost by using fiberglass or going with vinyl, but it won't be cheap.

Fiberglass has some caveats which are location-dependent. Since they need to be conveyed to the site in one piece there may be limitations on the size of pool you can get to your build site. They also require more precision in the site prep; an uneven spray of gunite or an uneven prep for vinyl is more forgiving, but you are dropping a box into the ground and it needs to be well-supported and level.

In my neck of the woods the fiberglass was just as expensive as gunnite. We chose fiberglass and have been very pleased with it. We decided that we didn't want vinyl as the occasional need to get new liners would be an annoyance and costly, just spread out over years. Gunnite requires more attention at first as it cures.

The fiberglass seems less prone to problems-assuming it is installed correctly! It certainly has been easy for us to maintain.

I'm not sure where you're located but here in Florida vinyl is really not very common so it's either fiberglass or concrete. fiberglass is just about as expensive but is not custom. I was concerned that the fiberglass was considered cheaper in general or that is the perception. That perception led me to steer away from it due to resell factor of our home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.