SpeedStir Questions

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
Got my SpeedStir (and TF-100) and have started by testing my tap water. Results are on my Construction Thread as Pool is not filled yet.

My questions here are about the SpeedStir as I can't find answer in any of the old threads.

Should the light button also run the motor when pressed? I thought it only switched on the light. Would have liked to be able to put the light on after the swirling.

The vials from the TF-100 kit fit the SpeedStir but are slightly smaller diameter and will twirl around when mixing. For the 10ml tests I'm concerned they will pop out of the SpeedStir so have to hold with one hand.
The Taylor vial that came with the SpeedStir does not do this so I dedicating it to use with the CH test.

I now have a separate vial for every test and everything fits in the case. I did have to remove some of the dividers to do this and can't store the CYA standard bottle which will only be used a few times.

Mine does not have a light only mode either. Since you will always be looking for changes in color which will happen during swirling, it makes sense to not have them separate.

Am I the only one that uses the same vial (the one that came with the SpeedStir) for every test? I give it a thorough rinse with tap water after each test then rinse with pool water before the next test. I'll wash it with soap every couple weeks if it starts looking dingy.

The light button spins the sample and turns on the light. Why would you want the light on with swirling stopped? The only button I use is the light/spin button.

I didn't like how the kit vials worked in the Speed Stir either. I purchased a second Taylor graduated cylinder to use as my "Chlorine Only" cylinder for use in the SpeedStir. My other Taylor graduated cylinder gets used for the CH and TA tests.

Am I the only one that uses the same vial (the one that came with the SpeedStir) for every test? I give it a thorough rinse with tap water after each test then rinse with pool water before the next test. I'll wash it with soap every couple weeks if it starts looking dingy.

I also use the same Taylor vial for all of my tests. I rinse it in tap water and wipe the insides with a paper towel, after reading that tip from another member here. It works great. Prior to the paper towel wipe, I had to periodically remove the film with a Bleach or MA soak.

I like to use the light on the stirrer when filling the vial so I can see the bottom of the line more clearly. I turn on the light with the bar out, fill the vial and then drop in the bar. That's one reason why it is useful to have the light on without stirring. Those of us over 50 don't have to go get our reading glasses to test.

I like to use the light on the stirrer when filling the vial so I can see the bottom of the line more clearly. I turn on the light with the bar out, fill the vial and then drop in the bar. That's one reason why it is useful to have the light on without stirring. Those of us over 50 don't have to go get our reading glasses to test.

Get the sample sizer. It makes a perfect measurement Everytime in 1/5th the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.