It's Hot out there and my kids can't swim because I'm at Shock level.

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
FC 29
Ph 7.4
TA 100
CYA 55
salt 2200
The water right now is very clear, but looks a little glossy due to the high FC level. About a week ago after a storm I noticed the pool lost its shine and was a little cloudy, so the FC was around 4 and I brought it up to 12 and vacuumed. I put in some algaecide (which I don't normally) and the pool cleaned up, about a week later I noticed the bottom was a little slick and very slight indication of algae in the water as I describe below.

I have a full sun pool and I run a SWG. My problem is that my pool always seems to develop specs of algae. If I put on goggles and look at the seams where the liner is bonded, the crevices around the pool light, and the outer rings around the pool returns I can see little bits of a green outline (maybe like the thickness of a credit card. When I see this I will brush it (top off the bleach manually), but it will come back in a week or a little more. I know I need to slam the pool, so that is what I'm doing. I keep a good eye on my water condition, but always find signs of algae a couple weeks after the slam. When I open the pool each year I bring it to shock level and let it sit there for at least a week and make sure to pass the 3 slam tests. I don't install the ladder or the light until all is well. However, eventually I see these slight signs of algae. I want to bring my cya up to 70, but I worry about needing to slam the pool again. I'm thinking about running my SWG at a slightly higher range maybe 8-12 FC. I am baffled by how public pools can keep their water in line and never have to close the pool because they are shocking it. Also when I'm done with the slam would it be safe for my kids to swim if the FC is below 22 and the CYA is at 55.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Round your CYA up to 60. Look at the chart. Your FC SLAM/SHOCK level is 24 so........Let the kids in when it gets down to 23!!!! CANNON BALL!

I would keep your FC a little on the high side of your range (5-7) since it seems to get a lot of action. You and I both know the kids "add" stuff to the water. You are fighting that and a very hot sun. Even a level of 10 or so would not hurt anything during these times.

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim,
If I run a slightly higher FC is that hard on the pool equipment or swimmer's eyes? Or is that just related to PH? Once I complete this slam should I move my CYA up to 70? I also have a question as to how public pools prevent algae? I never hear of public pools being closed because they are shocking the pool. Any input on that would be helpful. Thanks

Generally large public pools don't shock the pool. Many run chlorine at levels very similar to what TFP recommends. Their main problem is with organic compounds (stuff that comes off people). They generally run ozone or UV to control that. They also may replace water on a regular basis. Killing algae is not at the top of the list, burning off the organics before someone gets sick is.

Small public pools, like at hotels often use regular pool methods provided by pool services and many shock their pools regularly.

Shocking is done to play catch up because of ignoring the Chlorine CYA relationship and allowing the CYA to climb thereby rendering the chlorine ineffective, so they play catch up once a week or so.

So long as your FC is in line with your CYA you are good as far as how the water feels and people feel in it.

I tend to take my FC up a tick or two over my max level at night just to keep it from dropping too low in our FL sun during the day. We swim a LOT at night and no one has noticed.

He ^^^ got the public pool question.

Thanks for all the help with all my questions. Kim that is a massive AG pool that you have. Kim do you use algaecide at all? The only question that was missed is should I bring the CYA up at the completion of this slam? I'm leaning towards running slightly higher on my FC (9-11),and instead of using algaecide weekly maybe as insurance boosting the FC with a gallon of 12.5% shock moving FC up to about 15 then let it work back down to 9 over the course of a week. OR maybe should I just run the SWG at a FC level of 11 and just try to hold it there instead of "playing catch up" as mentioned by gwegan. I curious what you guys and gals would think would be a good solution for my situation. Thanks for all the help this far.

If your CYA is really 55 then it should be higher with a SWG. Like 70. That way the sun does not burn off as much chlorine and the SWG does not have to work as hard.

But you need to start with a clean pool.
Read Pool School and tomorrow night do an ONCLT Tell us the results of that.

Sorry about missing that but he covered it.

Here is the algaecide we use if we use any: PolyQuat 60 algaecide. SOME people use a maintenance dose weekly. I have found I do not need it due to my routine.

Can you please add your general location? It should be just under your name. That is an important piece of info. we look at when working on a pool. THANKS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.