New pool

Jun 29, 2016
Freeport me
Intex 12x24 pool up. Added water from delivery svc yesterday. Have not hooked up sand filter and swg yet. Have been reading chemistry 101/pool school etc. Threw out shock treatment water guy left me after reading here. Ordering tf100. Picking up sand today, assume pool sand is pool sand. Question is what should I do in the mean time, cool and rainy yesterday at delivery, sunny this am. Should I do any treatment, bleach? Should I put cover on until I'm more prepared to avoid the sun?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: While waiting on your TF-100, add stabilizer to increase CYA to 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Add enough regular bleach to increase FC to about 3 ppm on day 1, then increase to about 4-5 ppm thereafter. Use the Poolmath calculator for dosage amounts. PH will be maintained between 7.5-7.8. Ensure pump mixes chemicals well for about 30 minutes or so.

The cover is a good idea until the kit arrives to retain FC. Once you receive your TF-100, post a full set of results and we can get more specific. Nice to have you with us.

Get some bleach in there, a quart will be enough. Get some CYA from Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home Depot, sometimes labeled as "Stabilizer". Use pool math to determine how much you hang in a sock to get to 30. Add a quart of bleach a day until your test kit arrives.

e: or what Pat said. :)

Thanks in advance for help!
Pool math won't adjust for cya of 30? Stays at 0.
Ok so test won't arrive until the 8th. Will pick up bleach stabilizer from Lowes/Walmart. Sand media brand matter? Since will be running swg, do I need salt yet.
Will throw cover on in the meantime.
Cleaning accessories?
Intex offers a cleaning package 30-40$
imagejpeg

Scratch that on pool math see now versus goal column. So add 52 oz of 6% bleach and 34 oz by weight of stabilizer.
Curious, pool has 2 suctions and an output back to pool. No surface skimmer. Is that needed or a luxury for later. Where should sock go?

Okay, tf100 finally here
FC 9ppm
cya approx 25 pushing to 20
ta 30
ph 7.2 or a bit higher

since we last spoke pool is crystal clear. Added the 34 oz of stabilizer, 64 oz of 8.25% bleach, and 200#s of salt. Swg is now running 6 hrs and pump running 8 hrs for past few days. Average temp is 75 ish and we have some cloudy intermittent rain in the forecast for next few days.

Pool math says to add
59oz of baking soda
50oz of stabilizer

thats with a goal of FC 4, cya 70 (swg), TA 60

now I have a goal of 7.5 ph. Says to add soda ash but I have read that adjusting my TA will raise ph. I assume I should avoid the ash until TA etc balance out. Yes?

thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pat,

Excited as cya is at 80 and TA is also at 80. Perfect according to pool math. Now FC is at 10. pH still at 7.2. I am running filter 12 hours and the swg for 6 hours. Should I back off hours on the swg for a bit until FC comes down, maybe even shut it off for a few days?

Kids having a blast despite cool weather.

Thx!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.