Magic Lube II might not be suitable for sliding valves

max2k

Dec 29, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Just to share my experience: I think Alladin's Magic Lube II lubricant is not suitable for sliding valve O rings or anywhere things are moving. I got brand new valve installed and thinking I'm doing myself a favor lubricated its O rings with this stuff. A month or so later I was trying to backwash my filter and found I can't turn the handle to Open, let alone pull it up after. After a lot of wiggling it eventually gave up while I was seriously worried handle wouldn't make it through. When disassembled I found O rings got softer, increased their diameter and one of them went out of its groove (!) and created all the trouble. I know they have different size and they were both in the correct places. I wiped the remaining lubricant off and assembled everything back. It seemed to work but felt kind of stiff. Today I got Hayward Jack 327 lubricant, disassembled the valve again and used that instead. By this time somehow O rings returned back to their original stiffness and diameter without Magic Lube around so I think it affected their rubber to some extent. The 327 feels much more like lubricant- things started to move smooth and it eliminated small leak I was having at the top O ring after previous disaster. Magic Lube II felt more like sealant as it got sticky quickly but fortunately never 'dried' completely like an actual sealant.

Magic Lube II (red label) is a good silicone lubricant like Jack's 327. It's probably not the problem.

Are you sure that you didn't use Magic Lube I (blue label) with Teflon? That stuff is no good.

I'm pretty sure and it is red- bought on Amazon, says #651- 5oz on the tube in red letters. One thing which bothers me it also says 'silicone lubricant/sealant' on the tube and it seems mine actually is less of the former :). I bought it based on the raving reviews and was under the same impression that it is similar to 327. Does it have shelf life or may be it needs to be reapplied regularly? 327 lubricant felt significantly less viscous - came out of the tube just fine while I had to really press Magic Lube tube with both hands to squeeze it out and it's been this way from the day I bought it. May be just got a bad batch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.