How long to aerate? and will my skimmer not suck?

LittleTagAlong

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2016
Amarillo TX
Did test at 9pm FC .3,CC .5?, pH 8+, TA 250, CH 150, CYA 35, Salt 3330, air temp 95, water 86
Added 55oz MA, then 56oz 6% bleach, then hung sock on skimmer with 28 oz stabilizer
at 2 am tested FC 26, pH 7.0, TA 200 Left filter running all night (what was left.:sleep:)

Tested again at 6:30 am FC 30 Ph 7.0, TA 200, CYA 50, Salt 2780, air temp 69, water 82

Left sand filter running all day, SWG off, tried to aerate ( finally about 6pm got that going good)

Questions:1. How long do I continue to aerate?
2. When should I test FC, pH, and TA again? 3.and will my southern engineering of stupid Intex skimmer cause problems? I tied a 5 lb weight to it with trot line.
I was tired of purging the filter, also know I can't backwash for a week.

Did test at 9pm FC .3,CC .5?, pH 8+, TA 250, CH 150, CYA 35, Salt 3330, air temp 95, water 86
Added 55oz MA, then 56oz 6% bleach, then hung sock on skimmer with 28 oz stabilizer
at 2 am tested FC 26, pH 7.0, TA 200 Left filter running all night (what was left.:sleep:)

Tested again at 6:30 am FC 30 Ph 7.0, TA 200, CYA 50, Salt 2780, air temp 69, water 82

Left sand filter running all day, SWG off, tried to aerate ( finally about 6pm got that going good)

Questions:1. How long do I continue to aerate?
2. When should I test FC, pH, and TA again? 3.and will my southern engineering of stupid Intex skimmer cause problems? I tied a 5 lb weight to it with trot line.
I was tired of purging the filter, also know I can't backwash for a week.
1. Continue to aerate/add acid until your PH stabilizes and you reach your TA target. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

2. Test at least daily until you get the feel for how the pool is running. I test FC & CC every day. My PH is very stable so I check that every 3rd day, TA every 3-4 weeks. You are trying to balance your pool so you should check daily, as well as after big adjustments.

3. What did you use for a weight?

Why can't you backwash for a week?

Dom

Thanks for your answer. It helps as bit. My question isn't clear enough. How long is should be more of how many hours between testing and adding? ? I can't backwash because I added CYA and don't want to have to do that again. Still waiting for that to totally dissolve. I do realize that's why FC is so high. Hot temps will take care of that, even with CYA.
I used a weight off a dumbbell. It's totally encased in plastic, used trotline so no deterioration.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer. It helps as bit. My question isn't clear enough. How long is should be more of how many hours between testing and adding?  I can't backwash because I added CYA and don't want to have to do that again. Still waiting for that to totally dissolve. I do realize that's why FC is so high. Hot temps will take care of that, even with CYA.
I used a weight off a dumbbell. It's totally encased in plastic, used trotline so no deterioration.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Really depends on what you are adding... Bleach/MA// generally about 1/2 hour to see results... I usually wait an hour. CYA takes up to about 48 to really kick in. IVe noticed changes as early as 4 hours but after fully dissolved. Put your CYA sock in front of the return, not the skimmer.. Give it a little squeeze every once in a while and it will dissolve faster

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the cya test is a hard one at first.80 ppm cya is high if you do not have a SWG. try retesting cya, on a sunny day, back to sun, shade tube with your body. pour back into bottle & repeat test a few times and take an average. I thought I had 100 cya . retested & I have 70, which was the target for my SWG.

Sorry, just saw you have a SWG too! 80 is ok. If there is anymore cya in the sock, take it out of the pool, you are good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.