Why is my chlorine Rising?

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
Drained water from the pool yesterday. Didn't bother to check chems since 6/27 but added 2lbs of Ch.

Today's test results <it poured again today but no draining>
FAC 7! I did this twice bc I couldn't believe it. It was 5.5 6/26 and 5 6/25
CH 325
TA 80
CYA 55
pH 7.5

SWG is at 32%. My husband turned it off. I did add a little bleach but that was like last week 6/23 when it was only 3

this I don't understand. Can someone explain it to me?

Your FC is fine ... actually you want it to start a little high before heavy use.

Remember it is perfectly safe to swim up to the shock FC level for your CYA level ... and likely no one would even notice.

I would turn the SWG back on, maybe drop the output slightly. But like I said, you want to start the FC high before a party so it never drops below the minimum.

Your CYA is 60 (there is no halfway between 50 and 60, it goes up to the next reading) so your daily desired FC amount is 4. Now assuming you lose 2-3ppm per day with that hot Texas sun, you want your FC to actually be around 6 so that when you lose that 2ppm daily you don't drop down below your ideal level of 4. Does that make sense?
You can tweak your SWG either by increasing/decreasing the % or by increasing/decreasing the run time. Doesn't matter which, although I personally like to run my pump longer so that it keeps the surface skimmed more.

Your readings are SPOT ON FINE!! Go swim and enjoy!! :swim::snorkle::paddle::splash::shark:

Yippee :flower:

Yes, all your thoughts make good sense. on the CYA - when I can't see the dot is between the numbers so that's why they aren't solid, even numbers...

We just bought some "sock"CYA today to try!

I will turn the SWG back on

Hey, Yippee - I have a lot of stuff floating on the surface. So if I turn up my pump from 1825/75, can't remember which it is, to, say 1900, will that help with that???

I don't have a variable speed pump so can't help you with those specifics, but I have turned my valves to increase the suction on the skimmer and less on the main drains. This helps skim the surface more in my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.