Just turned green

SAS22

Jun 29, 2016
Alton, IA
Help...pool was murky cloudy yesterday and now this afternoon it's greenish. Slightly overfilled it Sunday night..I think that's what threw everything off.

CYA was basically 0. I added 12 pounds to the skimmer this morning...unfortunately I didn't read about your sock method before that. Can't backwash for 48 hours. I added 3 gal of 10% liquid chorine and 2 gallons of 7%. FC read 8 or 9 after the whole process. (Again, wasn't sure what shock value should be exactly--I was aiming for 10)

Just tested water again using Taylor K-2006 kit:
FC 3 CC .3 to .5
pH 6.3
Alkalinity 140
CYA still reading 0 (according to strip)

Wondering if I should focus on raising pH before adding more liquid chlorine to shock? What should my next step be?

Oops, meant 6.5--I did the base demand test and it took 20 drops to get back up to 7.4. I'm not sure what that means in terms of how much Borax to use. My booklet only lists how much Soda Ash to use to raise pH. I also read somewhere that the pH will come back up with time and aeration??? Is that true?

The booklet is too confusing and not always in agreement with what we do. Most people use PoolMath instead: Pool School - PoolMath

Aim for pH of 7.2. I would recommend borax instead of soda ash because borax will have less effect on your TA.

Aeration is great, but it can take a longish time and your low pH is a "fix it now" issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You can find borax in the laundry aisle: 20 Mule Team Borax in a box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.