cartridge filter problems (new idea as to source)

Pogo

May 8, 2009
I have another topic here about whether the size of my cartridge filter was sufficient to my needs. It turns out it's a little small but not horribly so I gather. What freaked me was when a fellow commented it should only need cleaned once a month! :shock: If I can go 3 or 4 days, I'm doing good. A week is rare and only comes from taking the filter to the car wash (yeah, I know. Not a good idea)

In preparing a reply to this, a light bulb started flashing.

In looking at a number of pictures of pools, I noticed that some had the water return a number of feet below the surface. Our only return draws from the surface, through the skimmer basket.

That isn't right, is it? There are plastic baskets in the skimmer and pump inlet respectively but, they only filter out larger stuff. I tried putting a screen in the basket to catch smaller stuff but gave it up because it clogged up constantly!!! That means all this... stuff... is being caught up in the paper cartridge filter which is designed to catch and hold much finer stuff than a sand filter (I should think, anyway).

We're in the process of making some renovations including the pool. We will likely have it relined too.
We're considering installing an SWG. This being the case, I understand a cartridge filter is actually more desirable.

Ok. In light of this, what, pray tell, is our solution???

What kind of stuff is in your pool? Skimmer socks would work (and are highly recommended) but they need to be cleaned weekly or twice a week.
Also, have you ever acid washed the cart without degreasing it first? That can ruin a cart and cause it to clog very fast, usually in a few days time! Have you tried replacing the cart to see if your mean time between cleanings increases?

In looking at a number of pictures of pools, I noticed that some had the water return a number of feet below the surface. Our only return draws from the surface, through the skimmer basket.
I think we're having a semantics issue.

For the purposes on the forum, we call a "return" something that returns water into the pool. The skimmers take it out and are typically the only source of water for the pump (some exceptions)

Clarify what you mean by "returns below the surface" and we'll help you get some good ideas for solving your filter issues

Skimmer socks would work (and are highly recommended) but they need to be cleaned weekly or twice a week.
I hadn't heard of skimmer socks. I'll look into it. But only clean the sock once or twice weekly? when I put in a piece of window screen in, I had to clean that daily. My wife complains of dust in house cleaning. We live on an oil top road (stabilized dirt) could we just have that much dust?

Also, have you ever acid washed the cart without degreasing it first? That can ruin a cart and cause it to clog very fast, usually in a few days time!
Just that way, no I see the point of your order pus I have never "acid washed" a filter unless that's whats in those bottles of filter cleaner from the store.

Have you tried replacing the cart to see if your mean time between cleanings increases? A new filter is the worst of all. We had one we had to clean daily, twice if I didn't hose it enough. It has seemed to me they're worse until they get "broke in" when I only have to clean it every other or 3 days.

I think we're having a semantics issue. True! Sorry!

For the purposes on the forum, we call a "return" something that returns water into the pool. The skimmers take it out and are typically the only source of water for the pump (some exceptions)
Clarify what you mean by "returns below the surface" and we'll help you get some good ideas for solving your filter issues
I mistakenly used "return" to describe the point where water is drawn from the pool to the pump. (as in the "return air" in an AC system)

I had seem some pictures of pools being worked on and there was (at least it looked to me and I may well be mistaken the way things have been going) anyway, it looked like the water was to be drawn from the pool from below the surface.

At this point, I am getting aggravated by my apparent inability to figure this out. Yes, I can clean a filter two different ways at a time per your instructions. That does not explain why a new filter is even worse for water flow than an oft cleaned one.

I seem to have some problem beyond ken here. I have to conclude since the new works worse than the 'broken in' there is something wrong besides my misadventures in cleaning.

I just don't know. I'm about fed up with the problem and it's clear y'all are about fed up with me. I'm sorry. I am not trying to be a bother. If you'd like I'll just check out. and read only and not post any more questions.

It sounds to me like you have a very large surface debris load in your pool. Probably not an ideal situation for a cartridge filter. I'd consider either a very large cartridge or a sand filter. It sounds like the sand would work better in your situation.

learthur said:
Can you post a photo of your pool and it's associates landscape. Maybe that will give us some ideas. Also what size is your cartridge filter?

Do you have a pool cleaner such as a Polaris or Kreepy Krawly?
OK, here's some pix. It ain't purty. I haven't bothered to do much with the area yet because we're about to start renovations including an addition to the house at the patio doors, relining the pool (maybe replacing the filter system) and other landscaping things around the pool area.

My complaints of problems do not include this season at all.

One other factor is that we live on an 'oil Top' road. That's a form of stabilized dirt. There is also a considerable amount of truck traffic too. So dust could be a problem?

A pool cleaner? One we inherited with the pool/house. We just call it the "thumper" but it's proper name is the Zodiac "Barracuda" G3.

Attachments

• P5210015.JPG
    P5210015.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 132
  • P5210013.JPG
    P5210013.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 133
  • P5100004.JPG
    P5100004.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 134
The most probable cause of your pool filter clogging is the asgae that appears in the picture. If that is the pools current condition, you need to shock the pool. Posting a full set of test results will be helpful in helping you get it clear (and solving your filter issues).

Pogo said:
A pool cleaner? One we inherited with the pool/house. We just call it the "thumper" but it's proper name is the Zodiac "Barracuda" G3.
And THAT pulls all the dirt right into the filter. Not my favorite choice of cleaner with a cart since it does decrease the mean time between filter cleaning, expecially if you get a LOT of dirt in the pool, which is what you seem to get. A sand filter will be easier but you will still probably be backwashing it at least once a week.

duraleigh said:
The most probable cause of your pool filter clogging is the asgae that appears in the picture. If that is the pools current condition, you need to shock the pool. Posting a full set of test results will be helpful in helping you get it clear (and solving your filter issues).
I'm sorry. I meant to stipulate, my problems relate to past seasons while I was working at keeping the pool clean and the chemicals balanced.

I realize everything is a mess. We're getting ready to do remodeling including an addition to the back of the house there and maybe relining the pool as well as landscaping.

"And THAT pulls all the dirt right into the filter. Not my favorite choice of cleaner with a cart..."It does that for sure. What I will often do is pull the filter, pump water in to raise the pool level, then shut off the flow to the pool and pump it out while the 'thumper' runs. After drawing the most part I'd go ahead and reinstall the filter and run it longer. Other times, had I the time myself, I'd manually vacuum the pool before turning loose the 'thumper.' Not real efficient, I warrant you.

What would you recommend for a pool cleaner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.