Want to buy a new pool...preferably metal sided pool.

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
I'm in need of suggestions or good deals. Our metal frame pool of three years finally has bit the dust. The legs were rusting really badly...but a high wind we had a couple months ago..flipped the pool completely over and broke half the legs off and the rest are bent. We had partially drained it due to algae and left...we thought..enough water in it to keep it from flipping. Guess not. Instead of replacing the legs and T joints on it...I have decided to save up a little more money and just buy a nice family size metal sided pool instead. My brother has had his for 8 years and has only had to replace the liner on theirs...and he upgraded the pump to a 5000gph pump that works great. So...we are a family of 5...three small kids. Our metal frame pool we had was a 15x42 intex with a crappy pump. I found a 4000gph intex pump online for 150.00 and would like to connect a saltwater chlorine generator to the pool I buy. I would like to keep the cost of the pool between 1400.00 - 1800.00. Are there any good deals out there? What do you suggest? A round? Oval? Would a 4000gph pump work suffiently say for a 20ft or 24ft? Is there a specific size saltwater generator I need to look for? Looking to buy this by the end of June. I have 1000.00 saved up so far..so I'm thinking by the middle to end of June I will have enough to buy the pool and maybe the upgraded pump and generator.

Your Intex pump/cartridge system will not be adequate to deal with a regular larger pool. I know which one you are talking about.

Site preparation is going to be the most expensive (if having someone install) or difficult (if DIY) part of a regular metal AGP - but you say your BIL has an AGP so perhaps he can help with the install? You should be able to get a decent pool, pump and filter for $1800 if you shop frugally but put 60% of your attention into the site prep - with as close to perfect as you can get site prep, almost any pool setup will hold up fairly well and last for many years of family enjoyment. I would be sure to make sure you have a very good sized filter system and a decent 3/4 hp pump are usually a starting target. Do not let yourself be talked into a really big pump like a 2hp or whatever - a bigger filter is the goal to helping keep that pool properly sanitized. The rest is proper maintenance of the chemical levels with a proper test kit (not strips) and using the BBB method or the parts that are necessary with a SWG.

Shop around - apples for apples, oranges for oranges. Try to find a setup that doesn't have the filter/pump with it unless its a very good sized filter and a 3/4 hp pump, which I rarely see in those all encompassing kits. Often you can get just the pool, liner, ladder, skimmer/return - buy the other items separately. If shopping for an oval pool, look towards the buttress free or braceless pools. The ones with the braces on the side are the old style so you know you will be getting a kit manufactured some time ago - nearly all the newer ovals are buttress free. I would probably suggest at least 6" uprights and 8" top rails - that's kind of the minimum target these days as well for durability. Beyond that, its all about what the pool is made of for price ranges. Almost all steel walled pools have about the same protective coatings, etc., so I wouldn't spend too much time trying to compare that. The shape and size of the pool you get should only depend on your yard size/shape and pocket book. Try to get the biggest pool you can afford and can fit in your yard. Nobody has ever heard someone say "I wish I had gone smaller" when it comes to a pool. Even if you have small children, they won't be small forever and should always be properly supervised anyway.

I have found that online pool shopping, even with delivery, is much cheaper than the local pool stores - even for the exact same pool.

Julie,
If low budget is what you are after, I would look at Craigslist.com for your area or even a little out of your area if you are willing to drive a bit (your in Texas, you must be used to driving a bit). There seems to be a lot of pools on craigslist currently. You can get a good deal on a used pool and purchase a new liner for it.
Here is an example here in MN:
ABOVE GROUND SWIMMING POOL - $600
Above ground swimming pool, 22' round by 52" deep, steel frame, purchased 3 years ago, excellent condition (except the liner needs to be patched in one place), sand filter(new sand), motor and pump work perfectly, cost new was $2,200.00. Includes solar cover, cover for the winter, ladder and wood fence for the water pump.
I have been looking on craigslist for some other pool items and have seen alot of great deals out there due to the economy.
Good Luck!
Mike

I bought a used pool last year of Craigslist. I took it down so I know how to put it back together. We saved a lot of money by buying it used.

We bought a new house and moved in January. I know we wanted to put up another pool so I looked around and got a great deal on a new pool in February while there was snow on the ground. I will be installing it this weekend. I think the key to doing this economically is to buy used or buy early, and install it yourself if you are capable. Also make sure you budget for building / electrical permits. We spent $200 in permits and $250 to have our electrical and cables lines moved so they would not be over the pool. Check with your city before you buy, we have regulation on distances from property lines and from other structures like garages and the house that limited our pool size.

Thanks for the CL idea!! I didn't even think of CL! Here are a couple I found that seem good and I have spoken with both about them. Now trying to decide which one to get. Either one will save me a LOT compared to a new one. Any thoughts on either of these???

Swimming Pool(like new) 33' round--875.00

Excellent price. The new value of this pool, equipment, and extras is $4000+.
Artesian Ultima Above-Ground Pool. Huge, 33' Round, much larger than average size. This is an excellent quality pool in very good condition. It was set up for less than a year. Price includes equipment, supplies, and lots of extras.

Includes: 1.5 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter System, Wide-Mouth Skimmer, AquaBug Automatic Pool Cleaner, A-Frame Ladder, Vacuum, Underwater Light, Floating Fountain, Winter Cover, Sun Cover, Cleaning/Maintenance Accessories, Water Test Kit, Chlorine Tabs (5 gal bucket), Set-Up Video and Owner's Manual.

Needs a new liner. Depending on quality, will cost $400-$600.

Upon speaking with him, this is what he emailed me: The pool is about 2 1/2 yrs old. The pool wall has a 30 year warranty, but it is not transferrable. The mechanical warranties for items like the pump and filter system are expired. It is Hayward cartridge filter system with a Hayward 1.5 HP pump. It has been in storage since we took it down, but was in excellent working condition at the time.

And here is the other one I found:

24' round pool - 500.00

I have an 24 foot round above ground swimming pool for sale. It includes small outside deck, large stairs for the inside, new pump, sand filter, inline chlorinator, and liner (which may or may not need to be replaced). Pool is currently assemnbled but not filled. You take down and remove. Price $500 OBO will also consider resonable trades. This has a Hayward 1.5hp pump and also a 4x4 wood deck that is yours if you want it. No owners manual.

He told me the liner has a small hole in the bottom from a small blade of grass, but is patchable.

The two following pics are what they emailed me...the first pic is to the 500.00 pool and the second pic(the disassembled pool) is the 33' 875.00 pool.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• poolpkg1.JPG
    poolpkg1.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 323
  • pool500.jpg
    pool500.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 322
IMO the 33ft seems like a better deal/quality, BUT...a 33' round is HUGE and will cost you a lot more to maintain in terms of chems and time (approx 27,000 gallons)...we love our 24'x 52" (13,500 gallons) and perhaps would have gone as big as 27'....but when we were in the pool store and saw a 33'...I wanted to call my dad to let him know where he could launch his 21' fishing boat.

The 24' seems like an entry level model...but for the money may not be a bad solution....I would offer him $400 and see what happens...a new liner on a 24' should run about $200-$250.

after much discussion tonite...dh and I decided to go with the 33' round one for 875.00. I know its going to be HUGE. Huge. If I say it enough...maybe I'll get used to it. LOL It won't ready for another month or so though. We will have to prep the site. Already called about renting a sod lifter/cutter at home depot. So this weekend after we pick up the pool, we are going to mark off the area that sod is to be lifted from. I plan on lifting more sod in a large square in front of the pool circle where I plan on laying a brick patio too, so I can put a patio set out there, some chaise lounges and our fire pit too. I would like to lay that nice rock around the outer perimeter of the pool that I see in some above ground pool pics. What type of rock to people use? I was thinking of a 2 foot extension from the pool base all the way around for the rock?? Does that seem good? Or not that wide? What type of sand do I need to call around for to be hauled in to lay down after we lift the sod and start releveling where needed? Is there a specific kind? How much sand will I need? It will probably take me till the end of June to get the site where we need it to be though.

Also...we have well water out here. Would it be possible to fill this size pool with it? Or would I need to figure out how to get water hauled in..at least half of it and fill the rest with well water? We don't have high iron..but our water is hard...so Alkalinity will have to be lowered once we get it filled. Would attaching a saltwater generator to it help our hard water problem out here and would it be easier to deal with than doing chemicals or BBB method? If we were to do a SWG...is there a certain size/type/brand I need to check out?

Sorry for allthe questions...but I know I can get the answers or suggestions I'm looking for on here.

Congrats on the big pool choice. I have never heard someone say "I should have gone smaller." You will love the new big pool and really, it's just not that much harder to care for the bigger pool than the smaller sized one you looked at except when it comes to brushing or cleaning sides and the floor (lol - get a robot cleaner) A SWG makes every pool easier to deal with but it doesn't really make hard water easier - TA and CH can be a bit of an issue with a SWG so you would need to address those things. We have both and also have a SWG - we just do what needs to be done to correct the issues and it does not cause problems for our SWG. If you have a well, you may have some rust you don't readily see - you should have the water checked as it will certainly show immediately once you shock that pool (chocolate anyone?) - A metal sequesterant will be needed. That is a lot of water to fill a pool from a well, but it can be done - we filled our 18x33 52" pool by well - but if you can truck it in, would certainly do that instead - we just didn't have that choice.

You have your work cut out for you but you are going to love that pool!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.