Algae with high chlorine levels and high metal levels.

Jun 29, 2016
sweetwater
Hello,
Just joined group and first post.
We have had our pool for 7 years and have fought through some issues but are stumped on this one.

Water went from cloudy to green over night. We have had lots of rain and use of pool, but never let the chlorine dip.
Treated water with algaecide (3% copper) didn't help...

I took water sample to pool place. I was told copper was way high and don't use that again, he said I need to purchase "metal free" to get levels back down. then treat algea with another product that doesn't contain copper. Do you agree with this?

Per previous reads from site I have ordered a TF-100 Test Kit with optional XL option.

Here are the numbers.
FAC 5
TAC 5
CYA 90
TA 120
pH 7.8

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Resized_20160628_065751.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible that the green is not algae (as you have 0 CC's), but oxidized copper?

5 FC with a 90 CYA is too low. You should be at 7 - 10, (assuming no SWG). If that's not algae now, there soon will be.

I love the: "Buy this, it contains copper". Then the: "Now buy this. You have too much copper"

Lets get a little more info from OP. Get this straightened out and forget that Algaecide ever existed afterward.

For now:

Pool size in Gallons?
What you been using to Chlorinate?

Hello and thanks for the response.
Pool size is 15x30, 9.5K gallon above ground.
We use super shock-it and 3" tablets, We have been using bleach since this has started though.
The numbers I gave were from test at pool store yesterday, test strip shows a different story.
CyA 200
FC 10
Might have to keep FC up and wait for real test kit, hopefully a day or two away.

After we added the algaecide with Copper and it didn't help I thought I might be dealing with oxidized copper turning water green but not positive of anything. I can sweep the bottom and can make out a green cloud churning. Does that represent algae?

CyA 200
FC 10

I can sweep the bottom and can make out a green cloud churning. Does that represent algae?
Probably algae, but could be dirt. From the color I'm saying in addition to what the stuff is on the bottom you have a lot of copper...

If the CYA numbers are anywhere close you are looking at a substantial water exchange to get the CYA in line and that should get rid of a lot of copper at the same time.

Hello,
OK we are swimming in beautiful blue clear water and just in time, it's 100 everyday in TX.

I just wanted to share with group what I did and what I'm doing going forward. Please let me know if you disagree or think I should be doing something a little different.

First I received my TF-100 test kit. This was worth every penny.

CYA was so high we did a huge water dumb, about 80%. Water was still cloudy so we slammed until it cleared (about 5 days)

Current #'s
FC 4
CYA 30
TA 150
pH 7.6

My pH is climbing so I'm adding muraitic acid to lower my TA to see if this will help.

FC is 4 in the morning and 2 by late evening and it is taking me 40 ounces of liquid bleach to get it back to a 4.

So going forward I plan on just using the bleach, no more shock or tablets. (Unless I would like to raise my CYA)

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.