Stenner Pump Flow Rate

May 12, 2016
North Port, FL
I am considering installing a Stenner pump (or a similar apparatus) to continuously add chlorine to the pool. My wife and I take frequent trips, and I am tired of coming home to algae. I am in southwest Florida, which means the pool gets a lot of intense sun. It is about 12,000 gallons and has about 300 square feet of surface area. Is there a simple formula I can use to estimate how much chlorine I should be adding daily? Of course I'll still be testing the water and making regular corrections, but it would be nice to have something other than a wild guess to use as a starting point.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you maintaining the chlorine now?

FC consumption is dependent on pool specifics, size, debris load, sun exposure, stabilizer (CYA) level etc. It is typical for a pool to require 2-4ppm of FC to be added daily.

You can use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is likely to be required daily.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you maintaining the chlorine now?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I currently test the chlorine every other day or so. If it is low, I use the pool calculator to decide how much 10% liquid bleach to add. The problem is that if we leave for more than a few days, we invariably come back to algae. I used to use a floater with chlorine tablets while we were away, but my CYA is already higher than it should be.

I still haven't decided between a SWG or a Stenner pump. If I go the Stenner pump route, adding 2ppm per day sounds like a good place start. Thanks for the advice.

Since you have been adding bleach ... how many ppm of FC are you typically adding every other day? That is a better place to start from.

What is your CYA level? How low have you been letting the FC get on a daily basis?

Since you have been adding bleach ... how many ppm of FC are you typically adding every other day? That is a better place to start from.

What is your CYA level? How low have you been letting the FC get on a daily basis?

I haven't really been keeping track, but I will start. I'd say I add about a half a gallon to a gallon of the 10% bleach in a typical week. My CYA is at currently at 80, although every time we have a heavy rain, I drain a couple of inches, so it is going down gradually. I try to keep my FC between 4 and 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.