hard plumb and LIQUIDATOR Install (HELP NEEDED)

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
Ok, so today was supposed to be the day we were going to hard plum our pool and install the liquidator.....

So my Dad and my cousin went to home depot to buy the supplies while I went to work. I come home to find out they didn't buy anything. They said they could not find any connections/fittings to fit the skimmer and pump, or going from the filter back to the pool.

I don't have anything special....its a Hayward set up so I would assume the size and fittings we need would be pretty typical would it not?

Or, is it possible they just didn't know what they were looking for? LOL

HELP!

Also, if you have installed a liquidator, I would like to see some pictures if you have them! :)

Thanks,
Steve

Hayward is 1 1/2 inch threaded fittings coming from my filter to the pool, I install a LQ earlier this year but not able to take pics right now. I followed the instructions, watched the HASA video on You Tube. Install was pretty straight forward and easy. I read allot of Threads on this site about installing the LQ, Get some good quality Teflon tape or paste and take apart and re-seal all fittings that come with the LQ, My LQ is in full sun so I made box out of insulation foam sheets to protect the chlorine

Ok, i found an old threat that said a typical install will require at least 6:

"1 1/2" male adapters (male threaded on one side and female slip on the other) to screw into the bottom of the skimmer, outside of the return fitting, 3 filter ports, 2 pump ports. Enough pipe and elbows to make necessary turns. You can use all 90's, or 45's where possible for less drag. Of course you will need the proper cement and primer. You will also need a method to seal the threaded fittings (teflon tape, dope, thread sealer....that is a whole 'nother discussion)."

So, I am looking at home depot, does this like right to you?

Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2 in. PVC Sch. 40 MPT x S Male Adapter-PVC021091400HD - The Home Depot

or no?

Also, for the union ball joints, I am looking at these on Amazon:

Amazon.com : Hayward QTA1015CSEG 1-1/2-Inch Gray QTA Series True Union PVC Compact Ball Valve with EPDM O-Rings : Swimming Pool Digital Readers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Does this look right?

Thank you!
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

so the male adapter looks awful shallow to me. If this isn't right, please direct me to what would be.

Thank you,
Steve

There is a difference in PVC pipe, for a pool pump you need both pipe and fittings rated for use as water line.

If you look below in the product overview below your threaded fitting, it says "intended for pressure use" so you are good to go.

Drain systems are often plumbed using foamcore pipe, it will sometimes be stamped as DWV and is not rated to handle pressure, this is especially true for larger diameter piping. The fittings make more long sweeping bends and the fittings will have more shallow glue surfaces.

PVC rated for use in water line is much stronger and will have a pressure rating stamped right on the pipe. The fittings have deeper sockets for the glue joint and a 90 degree fitting will be more squared off instead of sweeping bend.

The gray unions and ball valves are the good stuff, they will work fine and last for years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.