Hello from Sneakers in NJ

May 25, 2009
Hello everyone at TFP. I have been a pool owner since 1980. I had a Sylvan gunite pool installed then and have had many good and bad years. I really don't want to make my pool a thorn in my side so I am in the process of installing an Autopilot DIG-48. I normally use whatever chlorine that Costco has on sale which leads to a green and sometimes slimy pool. So I figured the Autopilot would do the trick. My wife could care less about pool maint. so the monkey"s on my back. The less work I have to do the better. I changed the filter about two years ago to a Hayward sand filter (S44T) and a Hayward 1HP Super II pump last year. So once I get the Autopilot installed and the salt in, I should be ready to go. I am looking for any install tips for the Autopilot so I can get this done right the first time. Pictures of successful installations would also be good. Thanks for any help and wishing warm weather and clear water to all. :-D

Here are some threads that can help make your pool maintenance easier with the SWG.
water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html
so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html
ta-what-is-it-really-t4979.html
acid-column-myth-t1089.html

With a SWG your CYA, TA and pH become very important to maintain your pool with the least amount of problems and work!
It is very possble that your CYA is too high even for a SWG right now because of your trichlor use. You want it at 70-80 ppm. You DO have a good test kit such as a Taylor K-2006 (not the K-2005!), don't you? If not, you need one that uses the FAS-DPD chlorine testing method and not the DPD testing method. We have a lot of experience in this and have only found two kits that meet the requirements of a good test kit at a reasonable price, the Taylor k-2006 and the Trouble Free Test Kit's TF100, which uses Taylor reagents and is a better value for the money, IMHO! (three if you count Leslie's private label version of the K-2006)
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
Also, I would recommend reading the pool school section of the forum even though you have had a pool for many years.
pool-school/
The fact that you have had algae outbreaks means you need to get a better understanding of the chemistry of your water (I already know what the problem was, your use of trichor tabs leading to overstabilization!). It's not hard and we are here to help!