Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Model SF90110T slow water issue

Jun 21, 2016
Karlsruhe, ND
Having a slow moving water problem after filter is pumping well for 15 minutes later. I then backwash, rinse, and then filter again and same thing happens. Have only had my filter system for a week. Did have high iron content in water so I'm guessing all that is filtering through. Check for air leaks and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any ideas? Called Intex but customer service was not understanding my issue and said I needed to replace the motor. Well the motor seems to be running fine? I think its just a trouble shoot problem. What am I missing?

I just noticed that Pool School recommends running the backwash cycle twice for more effective cleaning, the other day.
What it says....

Sand filters will have either a push/pull main valve or a multiple position valve (multiport) for cleaning the debris trapped by the sand. Whenever changing the position on the main valve, you MUST have the pump off or you will break something. First make sure that any valve on the discharge/waste line is open and any discharge hose is attached and rolled out to where you want the dirty water to go. After turning off the pump, move the lever to the "BACKWASH" position and restart the pump. Most multis have a view glass so that you can see the debris coming out of the filter, other filters will have a section of transparent pipe on the backwash line. The water will run clear for a moment, then get dirty, and finally run clear again. When the water in the glass is ~ clear, turn off the pump. If you have a multiport valve with a "RINSE" setting, switch the multiport to "RINSE", otherwise switch to "FILTER", and run the pump for about 15 seconds. Repeat the backwash cycle. Finally, reposition the valve back to the normal "FILTER" position, and you're all set until the unit needs to be cleaned again. Please note that this process removes water from the pool, so be sure to keep an eye on the water level and don't start the cleaning process if the water is already low! For more detailed information on cleaning Sand filters, see this post.

I had this same problem about 2 days after installing an Intex pump/sand filter on our Intex 18 x 48 pool. I unscrewed the blue connector inside the pool where the skimmer basket hose attaches and it was full of trash and gunk. No problems since I cleaned that out.
dfc134a0cad12532e169d3896f21c3a2.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I had this same problem about 2 days after installing an Intex pump/sand filter on our Intex 18 x 48 pool. I unscrewed the blue connector inside the pool where the skimmer basket hose attaches and it was full of trash and gunk. No problems since I cleaned that out.
dfc134a0cad12532e169d3896f21c3a2.jpg

Our fill water (city) also had a high iron content. The sand filter cleared it up. Before we got the new pump/sand filter we were using the small cartridge filter and it was pretty much worthless.

Thanks for the replies! I'm still waiting for my testing kit. I'll I hv is strips. Everything says water is ok. I do have the high iron water problem but I literally just received my skimmer two days ago & had the problem before that. When I change my filter to recirculate the water flows fine. When I change to filter after my pump has been recirculating for awhile it pumps well and then after awhile basically water goes to a standstill. Change to recirculate and water flows fine. I will check the skimmer hose just in case though

Thinking I should openn filter up and see whats going on, backwash, rinse, recirculate, and filter and see how it goes?

Didn't open the sand filter up but I just did the backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, recirculate and then ended with filtering. Seems to be working right now but we'll see in 20 minutes. Lots of pretty brown water came out when I backwashed so it obviously needed to be done!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.