Hayward VSP Settings Help

Jun 29, 2016
Springfield, IL
Hi everyone!
I have been lurking these forums for a while and just finished reading through most of the Pool School writings. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge you all are so willing to share with each other.

We have lived in our house for just over two years, which came with a small in ground pool (about 15,500 gallons). We previously relied on the testing and advice of a local pool store (I know, I know), but ever since I discovered this site, I decided to take control and use the TFP method to maintain everything.

Given what was probably poor maintenance by the previous owners and bad advice from the pool store, we had to replace the liner (which was wrinkled and torn beyond repair) and the heater (which was totally non-functioning). We decided to get a Hayward variable speed super pump (SP2600VSP) just for the heck of it, since we were replacing everything else and the old pump was a loud, electricity-guzzling single speed Pentair. The heater is a Hayward H200FDN Universal H-Series Low NOx 200,000 BTU gas unit. The filter is a Pentair Sand Dollar.

Our pipes are 1 1/2 inch in width. The instruction manual says that the maximum flow rate is 45 gallons per minute for pipes that size. The speed range is 600-3,000 rpm, but I'm afraid to go all the way up to 3,000 since our pipes are only 1 1/2 inches -- I don't want to create too much pressure in the pipes or in the filter. The pump has the ability to save three different speed settings. What would you recommend I set these to? What is the absolute maximum speed that I should run this with my current set up?

I'm new to all of this and still learning, so thanks for your patience if these seem like basic or silly questions...

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll notice I re-named your thread for better visibility since your primary concern is really about the VSP settings and not overall pool set-up. You should get more "hits" that way. :wink: I'm sure you'll see more feedback soon. Nice to have you with us.

With pvc pipe you should have no problems 3,000 rpm as long as you have a full pool and no leaves plugging the skimmer or pump basket. In default mode the pump goes through different rpm unless you changed it. There needs to be back pressure from filter and returns. In other words you want it to be able to suction water easy, expell kinda difficult if that makes sense. It will run very quietly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.