Service needed light and Error codes 172, 186, 186 and HH

Jun 29, 2016
Owasso/Oklahoma
My Aquapure system is giving me some codes regarding a flow sensor service (172, 185, and 186) and when I press the temperature button I get a HH code which my installation manual says that "Input has exceeded Maximum Range" whatever that means. On another thread I noticed that someone else pressed some other control panel buttons that he read about in a troubleshooting manual they picked up online. I've not done any of that because I cannot find any manual but I did check the cleanliness of the sensor, made sure it was plugged in properly, and did some resetting of the buttons on the Tri-Sensor Adapter all of which provided no help. I have replaced the chlorine generator and it's sensor a couple of years ago. Any suggestions?

My Aquapure system is giving me some codes regarding a flow sensor service (172, 185, and 186) and when I press the temperature button I get a HH code which my installation manual says that "Input has exceeded Maximum Range" whatever that means. On another thread I noticed that someone else pressed some other control panel buttons that he read about in a troubleshooting manual they picked up online. I've not done any of that because I cannot find any manual but I did check the cleanliness of the sensor, made sure it was plugged in properly, and did some resetting of the buttons on the Tri-Sensor Adapter all of which provided no help. I have replaced the chlorine generator and it's sensor a couple of years ago. Any suggestions?

On Page 34 of the manual (http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0325600.pdf), HH means the sensor is reading high salt. You might want to test with another kit to validate you have too much salt. If it's validated, you need to drain some water off and refill with fresh water.

Section 7.2 and 7.3 have the error code explanations, which doesn't help much in this case since all three say "call a professional". Have you cleaned the cell recently?

On Page 34 of the manual (http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0325600.pdf), HH means the sensor is reading high salt. You might want to test with another kit to validate you have too much salt. If it's validated, you need to drain some water off and refill with fresh water.

Section 7.2 and 7.3 have the error code explanations, which doesn't help much in this case since all three say "call a professional". Have you cleaned the cell recently?

That's odd. I am having to refill the pool about once every 5 to 7 days due to evaporation so I kind of doubt that the salt is high. Maybe the salt level could be high as it probably does not evaporate with the water. I'll have it checked to make sure. I also get this reading when I press the Temperature button. My book says on page 46 by Additional Letter Codes, under HH "Input has exceeded maximum range". I have never had a problem with any fuzz buildup on the cell interior. I did take the sensor off and cleaned it up but it really did not show any discoloration at all.

Welcome to TFP!

The first test that needs to be done is verify the salt level. The salt does not decrease with evaporation, it will slowly rise if the fill water has any salt in it.

All of the error codes are indicating a bad sensor. See if this guide from InyoPools will help you troubleshoot the sensor, https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/jandy-aqua-pure-error-codes.pdf.

If you need to replace the sensor, make sure you buy the latest sensor as there have been very few issues with that sensor.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

The first test that needs to be done is verify the salt level. The salt does not decrease with evaporation, it will slowly rise if the fill water has any salt in it.

All of the error codes are indicating a bad sensor. See if this guide from InyoPools will help you troubleshoot the sensor, https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/jandy-aqua-pure-error-codes.pdf.

If you need to replace the sensor, make sure you buy the latest sensor as there have been very few issues with that sensor.

I had the salt level checked today and it is at 3100 ppm. Does that troubleshooting guide in that pdf give me significant instructions on how to test the sensor?

Welcome to TFP!

That pdf file appears to be used to test a AquaLink system. Mine is a APUREM AquaPure. I do not recall any front board or back board but one board. Here is a photo of my panel.

IMG_4734.jpg

Your board should have all the same test points for the sensor as it is explained in the guide from Inyo Pools.

Thanks for the information Ping, but my board is nothing like those found in that pdf file. I do have test points as shown in the image I've uploaded, but they are not labeled the same or in the same layout. To try that without some sort of clearer instructions would be a guess I think. I ordered a new sensor and board yesterday (the board was replaced last year about this time) and they should arrive tomorrow. I'll try the new sensor first and see what that does before swapping out the circuit board.
Russ

IMG_4735.jpg

I ran all the tests on the board and it passed them all exept one for the Cell Voltage and Current. It was supposed to be around 22 volts and I ended up with 11.5. The fix to that was "change the PIB". I changed the sensor and cord, tested it again and got the same reading although everything else operated normally, so I changed the board. Tested it again and still got 11.5. After that I put the 'old' board back in (less than one year old) and I am going with that. Goofy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something looks odd about how your trisensor is connected to the board. Can you post pictures of your trisensors and how they're connected to the board?

Is it working now?

Something looks odd about how your trisensor is connected to the board. Can you post pictures of your trisensors and how they're connected to the board?

Is it working now?

Seems to be working fine right now. The photo I posted had a connection with an older style sensor with 3 visible contacts with the water at the chlorine generator. That type required a Tri-sensor Adapter to be in place when connecting to the board. The newer style sensor which I just installed does not use that very small adapter panel which is probably what you are used to seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.