need pump information

Jun 29, 2016
Venice, FL
Hi, I am new to the forum although I have been reading lots of great Q and As which is why I joined. Great information but some of it is from awhile back so will ask fresh:

Our pump is about to go--we know this because it has become VERY loud and sounds as if straining and ready to blow (probably bad bearings). This may have happened either because it is old (2006 but motor has been replaced at least once by previous owner) or because we had a leak and water level got too low before we realized.

Anyway, we do not really want to go with a straight replacement of a Hayward 1 hp and/or motor replacement of Marathon. We would like to "start fresh" with newer, energy efficient model.
My husband found the EcoPump and we were interested in that....we were recommended EP-4 by two different dealers, but it has mixed opinions on this site....yesterday I saw recommendations of Pentair but one of the models (SuperFlo VS 342001) is not on the Pentair website and I wonder why? I did find it on sunplay.com

In your opinions is a VS better than a 2 speed?

Anyone know about the warranty requirements for the EcoPump? I see Pentair requires professional installation, but my husband is very handy and we cannot justify the cost of some one randomly chosen to come and swap it out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

we do not use a typical vacuum for cleaning our pool--pump/filtration system does not get used. The Dolphin Premier robot is its own "system"--it has its own vacuum via the robot/control set up. It has its own filtration system like a vacuum bag that runs on a regular wall outlet. Also we do not get a lot of debris because we have a covered lanai cage.

"Pooldv" why 2 speed and not VS? thanks!

A two speed will save about 75% in energy costs on low speed vs high speed. A VS will save more in energy costs but will also cost more up front. If you can get a nice size rebate from the power company to offset that cost, a VS might make more sense. Otherwise a two speed could have a lower life time cost in areas where the energy rates are not so high. Especially if you just replace the motor on your current pump.

No worries. A vs pump is variable so you can make it any "size" you want. Plus that pump is the smallest vs on the market.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
back from vacation and still working on this....went to Leslies yesterday; their recommendation is a Jacuzzi (we can find zero reviews) or a Pentair IntelliFlo VST. Opinions?
what is the difference between the IntelliFlo they are recommending vs the SuperFlo VS pooldv first recommended?

The Intelliflo costs more, is a bit more efficient and has a few more features (e.g. more than 3 speeds, rotatable display, higher top end).

is it worth going with this one (Intelliflo) even if we only have a 10000 gal pool (concern is too much power for the 2" piping)? We may put in a heater in the near future. If it comes down to it, we would prefer to pay more up front and have it last and be "what we need" down the road.

It may not be worth going for a VS at all. As I suggested earlier, unless you get a fat rebate from the power company, just replacing your current motor with a two speed motor will likely have a lower lifetime cost than a VS.

But again, the fact that the Intelliflo is a very large pump is irrelevant. You can change the maximum speed so it never reaches those flow rates.

If you do go with a VS, make sure you install power surge protection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.