Interesting post on gardenweb forum about TFP site

Rossterman

Jun 5, 2016
Martinez, CA
I used the gardenweb site a number of years ago when doing our DIY inground pool so still stop by there from time to time to review and respond to posts ( although they dont seem to get much traffic lately). Was kinda interesting to read someones post who was butthurt because not everyone here believes UV sanitation is the end all-be all for pools. Turns out they are a PB that pushes UV and believes SWGs have too many downsides compared to UV (I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion?)

They made A number of misstated comments about this site which I posted a reply to indicate were not factual (as did a number of other TFP members did before me).

Personally, I dont think Ive found a site more dedicated to teaching owners how to manage their pools or address problems that have them stumped to the direct benefit to the poster with zero strings attached or monetary gain by the site owner. What a great community of pool enthusiasts we have here!

I used the gardenweb site a number of years ago when doing our DIY inground pool so still stop by there from time to time to review and respond to posts ( although they dont seem to get much traffic lately). Was kinda interesting to read someones post who was butthurt because not everyone here believes UV sanitation is the end all-be all for pools. Turns out they are a PB that pushes UV and believes SWGs have too many downsides compared to UV (I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion?)

They made A number of misstated comments about this site which I posted a reply to indicate were not factual (as did a number of other TFP members did before me).

Personally, I dont think Ive found a site more dedicated to teaching owners how to manage their pools or address problems that have them stumped to the direct benefit to the poster with zero strings attached or monetary gain by the site owner. What a great community of pool enthusiasts we have here!

I've found their gardening advice to be pretty good and have gotten some good answers to my questions but I agree on the pool & spa forum. So glad I found this forum instead!

I remember that particular poster. She joined this site and immediately started promoting UV for pools and her "special" knowledge of them.

She was asked by a moderator to please slow down and read what we teach first. That seemed to inspire her to post even more false information....particularly about the horrors of chlorine and it got so outrageous she was removed from this forum.

She rushed to gardenweb to post what she did and it remains there as a testimonial, I think, to her lack of ethic.

TFP is directed by rock solid science and we will always challenge claims made by anybody or anything that doesn't have factual information behind them.

gardenweb, like many forums on the internet is kind of a free for all, you can post anything you want and the owners don't care. We do!

We base everything on science, and science has proven that chlorine is the best pool sanitizer going. There are a few folks posting over there who have been banned here because they are unwilling to follow our rules. It's simple, every one follows our rules on our site. You don't like the rules, find another site or start your own.

UV has a place in the pool/spa industry. Ozone has a place in the pool/spa industry. Other things like algecide, floc, and clarifier also have a place in the pool/spa industry. The problem arises that the "industry" (builders/stores/cleaning services) put their goal to make money above your goal to have a clean sanitary pool at the lowest cost. They start selling you all kinds of stuff without really knowing what is going on with your pool.

When they start making accusations that TFP is supported by the "chlorine industry" and anyone is getting rich selling test kits they are moving into the realm of conspiracy theorists.

Thanks for your support over there, but posting support for TFP over there is kind of like trying to teach a pig to whistle. You are generally wasting your time and it irritates the pig.....

I'm just reading the thread on gardenweb now and am very happy that so many people jumped to TFP's defense. As a new pool owner I can say that the advice I've received from TFP has been invaluable and I am grateful for the time that people spend here helping others.:lovetfp:

haha. I was reading reviews on some copper ionizers a while back out of curiosity and there was some guy trashing TFP on the reviews there. I was tempted to respond, but as said above, I didn't feel like teaching the pig to whistle.

Hehe, I remember her. She specifically tried hiding the fact she owns a company that sells UV systems. She straight up said that pools that only use chlorine are dangerous.

That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite. Might have brought up a term involving people on the internet who post things just to cause trouble.

Frankly if people like her didn't hate us I would feel like we aren't working hard enough. Her anger makes me happy :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hehe, I remember her. She specifically tried hiding the fact she owns a company that sells UV systems. She straight up said that pools that only use chlorine are dangerous.

That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite. Might have brought up a term involving people on the internet who post things just to cause trouble.

Frankly if people like her didn't hate us I would feel like we aren't working hard enough. Her anger makes me happy :D
There you go again....... ;)

I love the comment about "TFP is a cult" !!

All Hail duraleigh !

Man, there are some serious chips on some shoulders over there .....

How about "we're not open minded" LOL, or that if anyone disagrees with our ways they are banned. Yup, that's why we have an "Agree to Disagree" forum.

Or the one about all the money TFP makes on chemical sales !

Man, that thread's a hoot, thanks for posting.

Dom

Last edited:
That was the first time I had a post removed by a mod, my response to her post was... well not incorrect but impolite. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
One of the reasons that we get shills like her off the forum early is she provokes otherwise perfectly good posters into being "impolite" and now we have dragged one of our good guys into the mix which never ends well. Donldson's response to her was just that. We just didn't get to her soon enough.

You'll probably see some more about us over there over time. These ax-grinders troll the internet hoping to find a place to bash us......they most all have been banned from here.

I was kind! I didn't spank your hand or anything!

I had no idea that thread was still going over there, had not looked in over a year. Petty humorous!

How dare us ask for tax deductible donations to upgrade servers and software as required due to the near exponential growth ... While keeping the forum completely ad free? [emoji38]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.