Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timers for Sand Filter Pump?????????????????

1. Back To Top    #1

Timers for Sand Filter Pump?????????????????

I have a hayward sand filter pump and have been running 24/7 the past couple of years. Someone mentioned to me that I need to put it on a timer. Does anyone run a timer on their filter pump and if so how many times a day should I set it to come on and how long should it run on each cycle? Thanks for the help.
    22K gallons, 1 HP pump, Hayward Sand filter and Polaris Robot Cleaning System. IG 16x36 with Vinyl

Hot Springs 5 Person Spa, 355 gallons using a Spa Frog for Chemical Distribution

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Timers for Sand Filter Pump?????????????????

Most people have a timer. How you setup the timer has a lot to do with the relative size of your pump and pool and with personal preference. You can find some information about determining total run time in this article at Pool School
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Timers for Sand Filter Pump?????????????????

Majority of all pool wiring I do, Customers request timers.. Mostly so they don't have to worry about starting and stopping the pump especially if they go away.
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.