Evaporation or leak?

My pool seems to either have a leak or evaporation rates are going crazy right now. The weather in my area, Central PA.near Harrisburg, has been high 80s in the morning and low 60s at night and the humidity is all.l over the place. I put some water in my pool last night but probably about 75% of what I put in was gone this morning.

I have an in ground pool, 18500 gallons. I also have a solar cover but it doesn't quite cover my stairs.

Am I just being paranoid about a leak? I've had problems with evaporation before but this time seems different. Just looking for some reassurance.

Welcome to TFP!

If you are losing noticeable water level with a solar cover in place that points toward a leak. Solar covers do a good job of reducing evaporation.

More info on performing the bucket test here, Pool School - Leak Detection

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

FWIW, Tom Skilling, local Chicago weather legend, stated that evaporation of 1.5 to 1.67 inches per week is very common this time of the year in Chicago area. Granted this was a little tidbit he threw out with any context or support, but if he said it there's truth to it.

The bucket test will show you if it a leak or not, but I have noticed a lot more evaporation lately so his statement stuck out to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.