LP testing results

Natty

Jun 4, 2016
Overlea
Good Morning all,
I have visited LP more times that I ever thought I would and every time I go in, my bill is ridiculous. I did 5lbs of soda ash last week, only to be told that I need to 1. Put in 10lbs of soda ash...wait 4 hours and then 2. put in 10lbs of Alkalinity Up...wait 4 hours then it's safe to get in. My pool has a little Algae in it & they said it's because no one is using it...WHO IS GETTING IN THAT?

Here are their test results
FAC-0
TAC-0
CYA-100
TA-0
pH-6.0
Base-30
Copper-0
Iron-0

Can you tell me your thoughts and provide suggestions on getting my levels up/down? I have ordered a test kit and am awaiting it arrival.

Thanks!

Hello Natty! :wave: Unfortunately, no one here will be comfortable giving you directions forward based on those pool store tests. As you have just learned, they are of no help in fixing your pool. :brickwall: The good thing is you have made the right choice to take charge of your pool and order the proper test kit. Make sure to add that kit to your signature too okay!

For now, don't add anything to your pool except about 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. That's just to try and keep algae from getting any worse. Now I will give you this heads-up info .... "IF" your CYA is as high as the pool store says (and it may be even higher), the only way to lower a high CYA (which came from pool store products b the way) is to do a partial drain of water. We'll confirm that with your kit, I just want you to be aware of it. Things like bags of shock and chlorine tablets are the main culprit of high CYA.

Once your kit arrives, post a full set of results and we'll be glad to get you going. Very happy you joined us.

With a pH of 6.0, you could use your pool water as an industrial solvent to remove paint. 6.0 pH is quite dangerous.

However, since pool stores are criminally bad, we simply don't believe anything they say.

Unfortunately, the only real answer is to get a reputable test kit and do it all yourself.

Thanks for your responses...I have another question. My pool pump seems to pump (with force) for about an hour and then barely moves the water. I feel like i'm wasting electricity because I leave it on all day and night. You can hear it but don't see any movement(or very little) does it make sense to keep it on while I await the test kit?

Is the water clearish or full of "stuff"? If your filter is clogging that would explain it. Do you have a pressure gauge? If so how does it behave? I'm not very familiar with DE filters, but there is an article in Pool School on their cleaning and use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.