Sand v zeolite

Jun 28, 2016
Beaufort, SC
I just replaced 325 lbs of sand with 175 lbs of zeolite (as labeled) per recommendation from my Leslie's pool store guy. No trouble doing it, laterals are ok, but I am now getting fine black dust in the pool. It seems to happen when I set to filter after backwash/rinse, but may be happening continuously with pump running. It has been about 5 hrs since I installed the zeolite. Any thoughts? Could it possibly be residual debris from the pipes? It had been about 6 years since the sand was changed, and I was getting this same dust discharge, which was due to "channeling" (also per my pool store guy). They suggested adding cellulose fiber to force the temporary breakup of the channels. This worked great for a while (about 2 weeks) but when it returned I figured it was time to replace the filter media...

Welcome to TFP!

We tend to not recommend sand alternatives as they seem to cause more problems. And the solution to channeling is a simple deep cleaning (see article in Pool School). Sand never wears out and very rarely need to be replaced.

Filter media discharge

What could cause filter media (zeolite) to discharge into the pool. The laterals look fine. I changed from sand a day ago and since then a black dust-like substance has been collecting at the bottom of the pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 44
I did a search just for fun and there are quite a few threads that mention the zeo being dusty from processing and handling and putting dust into the pool. Did the instructions say to rinse the media first? I would probably vacuum it to waste to get it out of the pool.

I did a search just for fun and there are quite a few threads that mention the zeo being dusty from processing and handling and putting dust into the pool. Did the instructions say to rinse the media first? I would probably vacuum it to waste to get it out of the pool.

pooldv is correct. Did you rinse/backwash the zeolite several times before turning the multiport to filter mode?

Is the zeolite you used naturally mined or industrially formed?

Zeolite is essentially a broad class of aluminosilicate compounds with porous 3D structure. Industrially formed zeolite can be carefully made to exhibit a single microstructure type. Natural zeolites are less exact and typically contain lots of impurities as well as quarrying dust and debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.