Is my pump bad or does it just need priming? Makes a sound for 5 seconds then stops

ttown

Jun 24, 2014
Houston, TX
My pump is a Pentair 3HP Challenger Pump. It's been ran 24/7 for about 2 years.

While I was away, someone went to refill the feeder tabs and noticed the pump looked to be overheating. They turned off the pump, but also left the feeder cap off for a day or two.

When I went back, I tried turning on the pump but no water was flowing through. It makes a sound for about 5 seconds then turns off for a minute, repeating.

I tried 'priming' the pump, but I'm not sure if it's just the pump broken or I'm doing it incorrectly. It either barely circles the basket water or just makes the sound.

All I'm doing is filling the basket with water to the top, sealing it back up, then starting the pump. My air pressure valve on my filter is also open. I've tried leaving it alone for an hour and I've also tried refilling the slowly draining basket again with water during pump off-times.

Here is a picture of my setup:
http://i.imgur.com/DPLMFYW.jpg

My skimmer line works fine, it's just my main drain /heater line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.