Hesitating to pull the trigger

evota

Jun 28, 2016
Folsom
Had a leak go unnoticed for a while that I believe we got squared away today (fingers crossed). So right now while the epoxy is drying on the pipes I'm trying not to turn the pump on. However, as a result of the leak (I believe), FAC, TAC, AND CYA are all 0 per the test from the local pool store and some test strips (don't hate me). I ordered my TF100 kit this morning so I can get some accurate results but I'm wondering if I need to get started on trying to balance my water back without the kit readily available. A little history over the past few days on what has occurred:

Sunday - Took a sample to the pool store which gave the following readings:
FAC = 0
TAC = 0
CYA = 60
TA = 80
PH = 7.8
Went home and dumped a pound of Power Powder Plus Shock (73% Calcium Hypochlorite and 27% Other? )

Monday night - took a test strip sample (all I had on hand as my pool test kit had expired) and showed FAC = 1. All other readings were the same as Sunday. Wanted to continue raising the FAC to get to 2 or 3 so dumped another pound of Power Powder Plus Shock into the pool.
Tuesday (today) - Took the sample to the same pool store and received the following results (double checked with my test strips and they said the same):
FAC = 0
TAC = 0
CYA = 0
TA = 70
PH = 7.8

Pool looks good (no algae bloom that I can see, no smell, etc.), but after reading through this site for the past 3 days (brand new to doing this on my own as I've had a pool service for the past 6 years and paid no attention), I'm freaked out that all my important readings are zero. I have 1 gallon of liquid instant conditioner (30% cyanuric acid) on hand and another package of Power Powder Plus Shock and of course can get my hands on some Bleach.

Should I just sit tight while I wait for my TF100 to get here or do I need to get to work on this ASAP?

Welcome to the forum :handwave:

As you may know we don't trust the pool store results and that would be a monster leak to put the CYA at 0. Still, since you had several tests say 0 cya I would add half the gallon of conditioner or if you can return it and get granular it's much cheaper you would add about 25 oz. This will raise the CYA but if the testing is off will not raise it too much to cause problems. Once you get your kit you can fine tune it.

Then add 3/4 gallon of plain bleach that will put you FC just over 5 ppm. Keep adding 1/2 gallon to 3/4 each day till you get your kit and can come back with some results.

Edit.. I am still pondering the CYA at 0 I just don't believe it is that low perhaps you should just stick with the bleach, the kits ship fairly fast you will probably will have it by the end of the week.

So it looks like the leak problem is bigger than I thought. After turning off the auto-filler yesterday we have lost 2 inches of water in about 16 hours. That seems to me to be an indicator that we still have some water getting out somewhere. I had 2 marks for the water, one set in the afternoon when the auto-filler was shut off and the leak was "repaired" and another late last night when it was much cooler outside. Seems pretty consistent that it was about 1 inch every 8 hours or so based on looking at my 2 marks this morning. Is that too much water to lose? Is that the main contributor to my chemical problem?

I'm in a hot dry windy area. Sounds great huh? Anyway, I generally lose 1/4" water per day.

There might be data on your area for evaporative losses. In my city, because of the citrus industry and the location of a research university here, we have estimates of evaporation available in the web. My evap losses in the pool are remarkably close to the local published data.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.