Help. Plastics soil overdig

Jun 22, 2016
St charles
I am putting in a liner kit pool 40x20 w an 8' hopper. and was told I need to overdig. I did and put 3/4 clean rock in. Problem is I can't keep gravel from falling down hopper so now I have no edge to set panels. What can I do. Help please. And thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0984f89c7f1ccd9f1352b57f4135cfd5.jpg

Frankly I would add piers in the middle of each panel also. You may have to back fill after you place the panels and pour the collar.

Then you would place your Vvermiculite. Generally you want that over compacted undisturbed soil on the slopes of the hopper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I felt bad about my pool situation until I seen this thread! I have the dig done as of July 4th. Two hopper walls were over dug some (about 4" a the top of one wall and about a foot at the bottom of the other). No kit as of yet. Unusually rainy this July. We have had 2 2" rains and a 3/4" and a few smaller rains. The 2 2" rains were fairly hard and fast which with the fresh dirt and being on a hill has made it a complete mess! It carved some pretty good ruts in the break and around the top of the hopper but after cleaning it up the 3rd time now I am feeling better! No rain for a while now :cool:. Hopefully I get my kit this week although my stairs are 1-2 weeks out :(.

I have to say you handled a really bad situation very well. Good Luck!

I felt bad about my pool situation until I seen this thread! I have the dig done as of July 4th. Two hopper walls were over dug some (about 4" a the top of one wall and about a foot at the bottom of the other). No kit as of yet. Unusually rainy this July. We have had 2 2" rains and a 3/4" and a few smaller rains. The 2 2" rains were fairly hard and fast which with the fresh dirt and being on a hill has made it a complete mess! It carved some pretty good ruts in the break and around the top of the hopper but after cleaning it up the 3rd time now I am feeling better! No rain for a while now :cool:. Hopefully I get my kit this week although my stairs are 1-2 weeks out :(.

I have to say you handled a really bad situation very well. Good Luck!

Thank you indeep. Broke ground almost a month ago and I had to re-dig a wall three times because of all the rain. Luckily it was the short wall in shallow end. A friend who did his own pool just told me how sorry he was for me and it should get easier. It's been bad enough that I got a card from my neighbor with a gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings saying May god bless you and I'm sorry for all the problems and take a break on me. Really nice of them.
But I now have majority of wiring done and plumbing is almost done. Need to string line it today because I'm going to try and pool Crete tomorrow (100 degrees here tomorrow) one thing I know. It has 63 tons of gravel and 28 tons of concrete. It's not gonna blow away soon. Lol. Good luck with yours.

Ok I was told by the professional digger ( I will say had I not needed to over dig his dig would have been spot on.). That I needed to over dig and place 3/4 clean to replace. My house is the same way but the only one in my neighborhood that had to overdig. So after all this I found out that the three hopper angles should have been dug a foot or two in leaving a much wider shelf. Then after I put gravel in and put up panels and poured bond then hand trim what needs to come off. I learned a lot from this "project"

Wow.... Looks like you made the best out of that situation.... I've never seen or heard of such a thing. You surely know more about your own build than I do but typically an overdig in regards to a pool or foundation for that matter is the amount removed outside of structure. Basically room to work. For a pool its at least 2-1/2'. So in your case for a 20x40 pool l, the excavation with overdig would be at least 25x45. You did well with the situation but could that of been what the pool builder meant for your excavator to do? And not overdig the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.