trying to do a slam the right way

Jun 18, 2016
teague,tx
Ok so i had a swg it was too small for my pool and not making enough chlorine so im switching to traditional i needed to do a slam coz pool was green. I added stablizer to get my cya to 40 and have checked my ph 7.2 and ta 70 then started using bleach to get my shock up to 16 its been 3 days now and the water is blue but cloudy and when i got home from work i checked my chlorine and it has dropped to 1. Im going to the store to get more bleach and bring it back up to shock. Im just wondering am i doing this right? Because the stabilzer has all dissovled and i didnt think the chlorine would drop that fast however i am in central texas and its hot everyday here so any advice will be welcome thanks.

You are doing it right .. at least by concept. Your pH is correct, CYA manageable, and you are targeting the correct SLAM FC level. Now it's just a matter of maintaining the FC level as much as you can throughout the day. That is key. If you leave the house for a while, it will drop, there's not much you can do about that. But the better the FC stays at 16 the better your SLAM will go. Don't forget to do all the other things listed on the SLAM page as well (link below). Good luck!

You will lose a lot of FC while slamming. The FC is destroyed when it destroys the algae. Ive seen other slams loose as much as 10 in an hour.

Test as often as possble. The more to test and top off the FC, the more effective the slam will be and quicker it will go.

Well i know yall will kill me for this but my test kit is a walmart bought htc. I plan on getting a taylor tf 100 but i just started a new job and im waiting on a paycheck. I did see on walmart.com they had a taylor kit that was only 22 bucks does anyone think thats for real coz i didnt think walmart even carried taylor but it looked like it measured both total chlorine and free chlorine and i know i need that for sure to be able to tell exactly what my chlorine is holding at overnite any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i came home from work today and my chlorine had held throughout last nite and this whole day to be a 5 keep in mind i am using an inferior kit but this us the first day ive gotten home from work and it hadnt dropped all the way to 1 so i added more bleach to bring it back to shock the water is still clean looking but also still cloudy

Well the swg was an intex with a max of 15000gal ive always had to shock it and add chlorine then after 3 yrs the cell crapped out and thts when it turned greem after joining here i figured out the swg was too small for the pool thts why im doing away with it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.