Did I add too much bleach?

Jun 28, 2016
Florence,ms
I bought regular household bleach and poured approx. 1 gallon and a fourth of another gallon to a pool that holds approx. 6700 gallons of water. I have not yet bought a test kit. Is this going to be dangerous to swim in?
we have an above ground 18x42 round pool and we filled it using our sprinkler meter water. It started off as green clear water but now looks great.

Welcome to TFP :)

Without any CYA in the pool that chlorine level after pouring would be too much to swim in. It is true that the sun will dissipate the chlorine rather quickly but how quickly? Without a way to test it, you're kind of left in the dark. If my estimate is correct approximately 160 oz of 6% bleach would have raised your FC to 12. That is extreme with no CYA. Have you added any CYA by chance?.......sold as stabilizer?

You will be well served by ordering a good test kit......see this link. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

As well as reading up in pool school on ABC's of pool water chemistry.

image.jpgI forgot to mention that I also added this? Cya? Is that the conditioner that I've been reading about to keep the chlorine from evaporating?

- - - Updated - - -

How long would it take to evaporate? Husband is on his way to get a test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for your reply! Going now to purchase a testing kit. Only other thing that I've added is this image.jpg hich probably is not cya? So sorry for my ignorance...we are learning.

That product looks like trichlor? Having a hard time reading the active ingredient. That will add chlorine along with CYA.
You need a good test kit that you're not likely to find locally retail. But, to try to sort through this as you wait for one, go to pool math (linked above) and try to estimate how much of each product you put in the pool.......use the tool at the bottom called effects of adding chemicals. Plug your numbers in and maybe you can get a CYA estimate based on how much of that product you used.

I can't stress enough however the need for a test kit that will accurately test CYA as well as a fas-dpd chlorine test. Check out the link I posted about test kits.

There is always someone here to help you if you have questions and good test results.......not pool store results or test strips.

Edited.....be sure to put your pool volume in pool math.

That is trichlor. It will indeed add CYA along with chlorine.

Do some reading here. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

While you do need Cya in the pool, too much can be a nightmare when it comes to maintaining adequate FC.

Did I mention getting a test kit? I know what it is like first hand to be a new pool owner and be clueless about pool water chemistry. You need those test results though. Low or high PH is a problem etc etc.

Read up on your ABC's and post questions when you have them.

As much as I'd love to help, I don't trust the veracity of test strips. You can, if you wish.

If I understand correctly this is a new fill and maybe a first pool? I've been there. Swim if you want to trust those readings but if you want to maintain a happy swimming environment and not spin your wheels wondering what is going on in your pool, you will need more accurate testing than test strips. I'm not sure yet if you've read up on my suggestions. Of comparing test kits and ABC's of pool water chemistry.

Everyone here want to help the pool owner who wants to control their pool with proper testing.

I ended up here because my test strips (yes test strips) showed low PH after my children complained of burning eyes and red irritated skin. I ordered my TF-100 and set myself to understanding all of this stuff. I haven't looked back.

Thanks! I am trying to read up on all this now! I don't necessarily trust it but was the only thing we could get our hands on tonight. If the ph and total alkalinity is too high is that unsafe to swim until we can get a better testing kit? We have young children dying to swim :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
High TA shouldn't affect comfort for swimming. Low PH definitely will affect comfort......and you'll know it.

TA is a buffer for your PH so to speak. If it's too high, your PH will rise too quickly........and vice versa for too low. Everybody's pool is a bit different on that. So each pool owner needs to find their "sweet spot" for TA. That place where TA is at a number that keeps PH rather stable.

Too much information? I sounded like you 5 years ago.

Did I mention purchasing a quality test kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.