CYA Control Test

dcloer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Hickory/NC
I ordered (and received) my TF100 test kit. I was under the impression that it was to come with a control sample of 50 CYA water so you could make sure you were performing the test accurately. I did the test anyway and got something well over 100. I then diluted by half as others have stated on here and think I'm getting something between 80 and 90 which would mean my CYA value is between 160 and 180 which would be really high.

I did have algae in the pool a month ago and tried shocking and tabbing until I found this website. I then ordered my kit and started my SLAM at the highest readings on the CYA chart. It worked. My pool turned cloudy, then over a period of 2 weeks my sand filter finally cleared the water. I then took remaining bucket of Tabs and box of Shock bags back to Sam's for a nice refund. I've been maintaining my FC between 12-13 since then assuming that my CYA is very high. I've drained some water and refilled as it's stated here to do. I did let my FC fall to 8 just so I could get a good reading of PH and TA which were 7.2 and 120. I remember reading that FC had to be below 10 to get an accurate PH reading. I added the appropriate amount of Borax according to Pool Math page to raise PH to 7.5 and then brought FC back up to 12.

I plan to dump more water to try and get CYA back down below 100. My only concern is if I'm doing the CYA test correctly. My wife is concerned that the FC is to high to swim in but I informed her that it is being buffered by the monstrous amt of stabilizer currently in the pool. I'm so glad I found this website.

For now though, we are enjoying the pool. I know that TA is high at 120 but should I worry about that now or after I do a few partial drains/refills to fix CYA first?

Thanks again for a great site! You guys (and gals) are lifesavers!

DC

DC, you are following TFPC just fine. :goodjob: I would indeed continue to whittle-away at that CYA. While a heavier water exchange is always quicker and more efficient, sometimes you have just have to go in small stages. Do what you can. You've been doing well. I wouldn't worry so much about the TA until you have completed the water exchange as new water will probably have a slightly elevated TA anyways. You can test your fill water for TA just out of curiosity.

Overall though, great work. Glad things are working out. Oh, and you are correct ... it is safe to be in the water with an elevated FC since your CYA is so high. Just refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart and you can see SLAM FC levels for pools with a much lower CYA and it's fine to be in the water. :swim:

Thanks for the quick reply. It's great to know that I'm on the right track! Everyone here has just been fantastic to talk too and of course very helpful in sharing their extensive pool knowledge. I will be contributing to this site soon as it has save me lots of money already! I just saw there is a store too so I think a t-shirt is in my near future.

DC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.