ScreenLogic and EasyTouch 8 questions

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
So, when we chose to do the Screen Logic did we give up having a separate remote control and lose the ability to control the pool if our internet goes down? If so, wish I would have know. We would have reconsidered. Anything we can do now? Electrician just left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, when we chose to do the Screen Logic did we give up having a separate remote control and lose the ability to control the pool if our internet goes down? If so, wish I would have know. We would have reconsidered. Anything we can do now? Electrician just left.

I have the EasyTouch 8 button RF remote. I'm not anti-SceeenLogic, just too lazy to get with the 21st century. Even if your external connection goes down (your connection to your ISP), I believe SL still works because the NPA is still hooked up to your router. So it's basically using your LAN (local area network) for communications. In case of a down ISP connection, you simply wouldn't be able to access your pool controls remotely from work or the grocery store.

I have the EasyTouch 8 button RF remote. I'm not anti-SceeenLogic, just too lazy to get with the 21st century. Even if your external connection goes down (your connection to your ISP), I believe SL still works because the NPA is still hooked up to your router. So it's basically using your LAN (local area network) for communications. In case of a down ISP connection, you simply wouldn't be able to access your pool controls remotely from work or the grocery store.

That makes me feel a little better. Wouldn't be able to do that with a remote either. Thanks!

That makes me feel a little better. Wouldn't be able to do that with a remote either. Thanks!

I've never had a single issue with my remote but it is "old school" compared to ScreenLogic and not nearly as easy to program the ET system with. But aside from AA battery usage, it's always in the house and ready to go when I need it.

:hammer: I think that was aimed at you Matt!

I hear Pentair is offering a "new", low-cost and more "green" variable speed pump -

c30a7baeef81d8b84d0fa15facbefa6d.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading...

Lol, not aimed at anyone.:D I am a self admitted Apple fanboy who likes everything controlled through my iPhone/iPad. All my home theater equipment is controlled through my idevices through SimpleControl, great app btw. And all my landscape lights through an app on my iPhone. Dolphin controlled through iPhone. HVAC and garage also controlled through iPhone. Love it! Next, I'm looking for ceiling fans that you guessed it, can be controlled through my iPhone! Only issue is that when everything works, it works awesome but when it doesn't, I'm the only one that can troubleshoot and drives my wife and daughter crazy when they don't work.:mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only issue is that when everything works, it works awesome but when it doesn't, I'm the only one that can troubleshoot and drives my wife and daughter crazy when they don't work.:mad:

Yep, I feel their pain! My husband is the one that does all of it too and when it's not working and he's at work... [emoji36] I work from home and he's my tech support.

Dolphin on your iPhone?? Ooooohhhh, how can I get that?? I have the m500.

Sorry TM, don't mean to hijack!

Lol. No worries Marla! I want the answer too though it's not a Dolphin I'm getting.

I was just thinking some more on the lack of remote. My Mom lives in the neighborhood and will want to come over to swim and use the hot tub. If we don't have a remote, and don't want to give her access on her own phone (she's technologically challenged and we'd just rather not) what are our options? Can we add a remote? Also, how do we control the spa when we're in it? Do we have to get out to go to the phone to adjust temp or jets?

You can't have both the remote and ScreenLogic (I believe the antenna and transmitter/receiver module that plugs into the ET board is different).

You'd have to show her how to go to the ET panel and push the "VALVE" button that switches the unit between POOL and SPA mode.

Either that or control the activities through the ET panel.

The cell phone app is very easy to use. If I'm not home and someone wants to use the spa or anything else, they just call and I can turn it on from anywhere.

I would not buy a remote for any other reason then to throw it at Matt and knock his toupee off.

You can't have both the remote and ScreenLogic (I believe the antenna and transmitter/receiver module that plugs into the ET board is different).

You'd have to show her how to go to the ET panel and push the "VALVE" button that switches the unit between POOL and SPA mode.

Okay, I can do that. Does that mean we don't have any kind of spa side controller either though? We DO have to get out of the spa to adjust the temp/jets from phones or panel?

Okay, I can do that. Does that mean we don't have any kind of spa side controller either though? We DO have to get out of the spa to adjust the temp/jets from phones or panel?

There is a spa-side built in controller you can do at installation time but I would not recommend it. Many people grow to hate the built in controllers because they cause more problems than they solve.

It's really easy to adjust temp at the panel. Once you set it, it remembers the last set temp and always goes to that temp. I rarely change it.

A spa side controller will work with Screenlogic. Did you have one installed?

A lot of people use an old cell phone or tablet (in a waterproof case) as a dedicated remote that will run over wifi only. This way you aren't paying for an extra cell phone service and limit the chances of your good phone swimming with you.

Again, the app is near foolproof to operate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.