ScreenLogic and EasyTouch 8 questions

There is a spa-side built in controller you can do at installation time but I would not recommend it. Many people grow to hate the built in controllers because they cause more problems than they solve.

It's really easy to adjust temp at the panel. Once you set it, it remembers the last set temp and always goes to that temp. I rarely change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I will need totally different temps and it won't be warm enough for him when I'm in it. I get very heat sensitive due to health issues (they're calling it "probable MS").

A spa side controller will work with Screenlogic. Did you have one installed?

I don't believe so. Does it need to be installed now or is it something we can add after the build is complete?

A spa side controller will work with Screenlogic. Did you have one installed?

A lot of people use an old cell phone or tablet (in a waterproof case) as a dedicated remote that will run over wifi only. This way you aren't paying for an extra cell phone service and limit the chances of your good phone swimming with you.

I'll unfollow this conversation. Brian builds pools everyday and knows Pentair stuff better than anyone so follow his advice ... except for the part about throwing things at me :D

I'll unfollow this conversation. Brian builds pools everyday and knows Pentair stuff better than anyone so follow his advice ... except for the part about throwing things at me :D

Lol. Yeah, ya'll are a little mean to each other. It's so sweet. [emoji23]. Thanks Matt for all your input! Very appreciated!

You better duck.... Cannonball headed your way

- - - Updated - - -

The spa controller would have to have is own conduit run to the ET panel. It can be added afterward but would be very difficult to do so and require ideal circumstances.

A lot of people use an old cell phone or tablet (in a waterproof case) as a dedicated remote that will run over wifi only. This way you aren't paying for an extra cell phone service and limit the chances of your good phone swimming with you.

Again, the app is near foolproof to operate.

I think this will be our solution. I didn't want to take my phone swimming even with a case because of temp fluctuations and all that but an old phone (which I happen to have) will work perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!!

couldn't you use the QuickTouch II wireless stuff (521209) and the basic remote in comes with in tandem with the ScreenLogic for those that you don't want to grant access to ScreenLogic to? one of the reviews for the QuickTouch II mentions "[FONT=&quot]I currently had Screenlogic II wireless to control my system from my tablet and mobile phone. I needed a way for guess not on the network to be able to control the spa/hottub and other pool equipment. Adding the Pentair Quicktouch solved that, so now I have multiple ways to ena[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ble which made it easier for guest."[/FONT]

couldn't you use the QuickTouch II wireless stuff (521209) and the basic remote in comes with in tandem with the ScreenLogic for those that you don't want to grant access to ScreenLogic to? one of the reviews for the QuickTouch II mentions "[FONT=&quot]I currently had Screenlogic II wireless to control my system from my tablet and mobile phone. I needed a way for guess not on the network to be able to control the spa/hottub and other pool equipment. Adding the Pentair Quicktouch solved that, so now I have multiple ways to ena[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ble which made it easier for guest."[/FONT]

Hmm... Haven't heard of it before but sounds worth checking into. BDavis, any thoughts?

The quick touch is basically just a wireless version of the spa side remote. I don't really see that being any better than screenlogic by itself. Screenlogic is password protected and if it's that big of a deal to limit access then the password could be changed at whatever interval you'd like.

The quick touch still has several functions that guests would be allowed to use and it's not all that different from screenlogic so I don't really see what would prevent guest from doing on screenlogic that they couldn't do on the quick touch. Maybe you could give a little more insight on to what you're trying to prevent users from doing?

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally the screenlogic app is somewhat limited on the parameters that you can change. Most of the more advanced configurations need to be changed on a PC computer so it would truly be difficult for someone that didn't know what they were doing to screw something up. I like to place egg timers on the common functions to prevent the spa and lights from getting left on for hours on end.

I really feel like the RF remote, quick touch, and the spa side remotes are a step backwards in regards to what your current setup is capable of.

The quick touch is basically just a wireless version of the spa side remote. I don't really see that being any better than screenlogic by itself. Screenlogic is password protected and if it's that big of a deal to limit access then the password could be changed at whatever interval you'd like.

The quick touch still has several functions that guests would be allowed to use and it's not all that different from screenlogic so I don't really see what would prevent guest from doing on screenlogic that they couldn't do on the quick touch. Maybe you could give a little more insight on to what you're trying to prevent users from doing?

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally the screenlogic app is somewhat limited on the parameters that you can change. Most of the more advanced configurations need to be changed on a PC computer so it would truly be difficult for someone that didn't know what they were doing to screw something up. I like to place egg timers on the common functions to prevent the spa and lights from getting left on for hours on end.

I really feel like the RF remote, quick touch, and the spa side remotes are a step backwards in regards to what your current setup is capable of.

Thanks!

Uhm... What do you mean putting egg timers on the common functions? Will screenlogic not let us set-up timers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The egg timer is a feature within screenlogic (actually the EasyTouch itself) that sets the maximum amount of time that a feature or auxiliary circuit can be active before it times out and turns itself off.

Screenlogic allows you to set up schedules for the common pool filtration and any water features you may have and set egg timers on any additional functions that you may want to limit the maximum amount of time that they can be on.

I know I said I wouldn't chime in but I just wanted to point out why egg timer settings are important.

The default timeout for any circuit on an ET panel is 12 hours. So if you had your pool circuit scheduled to run from 9am-3pm and someone pushed the POOL button at 3:30pm then the pool pump would run until 3:30am if no EGG TIMER is setup for the pool circuit. But, if you had a 2 hour EGG TIMER setup for the POOL circuit as well as the 9am-3pm SCHEDULE setup, then if someone pushed the pool button outside the normal schedule, the pool pump will only run for 2 hours then shutoff. This is true for any circuit you setup with a schedule and egg timer.

I know I said I wouldn't chime in but I just wanted to point out why egg timer settings are important.

The default timeout for any circuit on an ET panel is 12 hours. So if you had your pool circuit scheduled to run from 9am-3pm and someone pushed the POOL button at 3:30pm then the pool pump would run until 3:30am if no EGG TIMER is setup for the pool circuit. But, if you had a 2 hour EGG TIMER setup for the POOL circuit as well as the 9am-3pm SCHEDULE setup, then if someone pushed the pool button outside the normal schedule, the pool pump will only run for 2 hours then shutoff. This is true for any circuit you setup with a schedule and egg timer.

Good to know!! Thanks!

Learned something new today myself, thanks.

I had read on a previous tfp post that you could still use the easy touch 8 remote and install screen logic. It said something about just plugging the receivers into the same terminals on the motherboard. Anybody know if that's true?

Late to this thread - the answers are already in, but just a big +1 - take the old iPhone or even buy an older refurb iPad mini, put it in one of the waterproof cases and use that for any remote or anyone else that might need access.. I think it comes out much cheaper than a wireless remote and gives the same functionality. Easy enough to show your mom or anyone else that wants to use it and you don't have to install the app on all of their devices.

Maybe I just don't have enough close friends or family that live close by, but I'm not quite that generous with my pool for others to stop by and use it without me here anyway!

I've got the refurbed iPad mini with the SL app - the house sitter is about the only person that uses it besides us, but it goes right out to the pool with no water worries. The rest of that story is it controls most of the house - the lights, the music, the thermostat, so anyone staying here really needs access to it anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.