Refilling pool, algae bloom so want to shock, but use Liquid CYA

Mar 10, 2016
San Diego
Bought a new house, water was changed in over a decade per owner. CYA was off the charts, chlorine was ineffective. Plus CH was off the charts as well. So we decided to drain and refill. Mustard algae was present and I figured, the amount of bleach needed to shock that was crazy so might as well drain and refill and deal with it, with a lower cya. Drain finished last night at 1 and I started filling. It's about halfway now (11 am) and this morning things were good but by 11 I saw the bloom.

I poured half a gallon of the target bleach (8.25%) and brushed like mad at the bloom. But I can tell this is going to be a problem until I get enough cya in there and then shock the pool. I do have a Taylor K2006 test from last summer, I hope the agents are still good.

But my question, anything wrong with adding the liquid CYA for now just to get it to a reasonable level, maybe 20, then slam, then mustard slam it, then adjust the CYA slowly from there? I don't want to overshoot so I'll be conservative.

I think my pool is around 15,000 gallons but who really knows. I dumped the water because of CYA so I don't want to overshoot. Thinking of buying a gallon (that's what Pool math said to get from 0 to 25) and doing half, measuring, then remaining half.

How long after dumping liquid cya in there will I be able to measure? Cost isn't an issue but time is. I need it to be somewhat clear by Saturday ...

EDIT: Or I can try dichlor ...

There is no problem with adding CYA now. Even the granules in a sock. Would suggest targeting about 30ppm for the SLAM.

If a bottle of liquid CYA would add 25ppm (less than you test can read), how are you going to add half that and test the level? :scratch:

If you add liquid, it should be measurable in a few hours. If you use granules, you can measure it a day or so after it dissolves out of the sock.

Just add enough to get you to 30ppm (or 25ppm if you want to just use 1 bottle), assume that is your level and SLAM away.

BTW, you should order FAS-DPD and CYA test refills now before you run out: tftestkits.net

Alternatively you could use Dichlor, just make sure the pH does not crash too low.

Tested the PH and it's 8, TA 150. So I'll do the dichlor and bought some muriatic acid and will adjust that.

But did the poolmath calculation and the PH might crash so maybe will need to return the acid for now and use Borax if needed to raise the Ph.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.