Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Blanket and Reel...suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Blanket and Reel...suggestions?

I've been shopping online for a solar blanket and reel...does anyone have a suggestion on which one to purchase...I'm not sure I want to throw down Rocky Reel type money...but if you have a suggestion for what or where to buy would be great--for both blanket and reel. thanks

gnewport
    I used to have a ......40,000 gal pool, concrete, Hayward SuperPump 1.5 hp, 325 lb. sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Blanket and Reel...suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gnewport
    I've been shopping online for a solar blanket and reel...does anyone have a suggestion on which one to purchase...I'm not sure I want to throw down Rocky Reel type money...but if you have a suggestion for what or where to buy would be great--for both blanket and reel. thanks

gnewport
    gnewport:

I, like you was hesitant about putting the money out for a Rocky's Roller solar cover reel and 3 years later, I'm sorry I didn't. I opted for this from Leslie's - http://tinyurl.com/r2dnnc with this from Leslie's as well - http://tinyurl.com/qkr999

Not the manufacturer's fault but mine - my yellow Lab puppy ate through the cover in less than 15 minutes flat then she went on to the resin handle and base of the solar reel. I managed to rescue the reel and it lasted until the end of that season. I gave in to Rocky's the following season and haven't regretted it. I purchased an aluminized solar cover to replace the one that never made it onto my pool the previous season and while I've been thrilled with the Rocky's Roller I haven't been so thrilled with the aluminized solar cover because it flakes and leaves silver colored (I would imagine aluminum) pieces all over the place including in the pool which causes me to do a lot of added vacuuming.

Today I just ordered a replacement solar cover it is the typical blue and 12 mil. I'll post my likes and dislikes once it is received and installed.

Best of luck.
    ____________________________________________________________ __________________
    IG VL, 18'x36'x5', Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward gas heater, MagneTek 1HP pump, Hayward automatic chlorinator, solar cover, Kreepy Krauly. Pool was hole in the ground that I put my money into for the past 5 years but thanks to TFP that changed and I'm enjoying being a pool owner.

3. Back To Top    #3

One alternative that I've come across is the Solar Roller. Half covers could come in handy for large/freeform pools. I might give it a try when my pool's done. Check out the video:

http://solarfactory.com/index.php
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll second the solar roller - it works out great for me . I find splitting the covers in half makes it much easier to manage.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

I just installed a Solar Roller this past weekend. So far it's working fine.
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

6. Back To Top    #6

I picked one up at a local pool store. It's lightweight with a plastic frame and alumimum post. I can't remember the brand name, but I only paid just under $100 and it works great. I've had it for three years and I'm very happy with it.
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ

7. Back To Top    #7

Now that looks easy enough to make myself!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO