Solar installation with booster pump for cleaner

Feb 25, 2015
Davis, CA
Hello,

I am helping my neighbor install a pool solar heater. Background info on her pool. It's probably about a 12K gallon pool. The pool has a pressure side cleaner (looks like a Polaris Vac-sweep 280 or similiar). She also has a booster pump to drive the cleaner. Her house is only 1 story high. The solar will be almost directly above the pump. The pump is a 3/4 HP pump. (I think it's 3/4 HP. It's 1 HP at most.)

When installing the solar panel, where should we put the input side of the booster pump?
  1. Option 1: Right after the filter, there will be a check valve and then a three way valve. Install the booster pump between the check valve and booster valve. This prevents air from entering the booster pump.
  2. Option 2: Install the booster input right after the return from the solar panel. However, this might result in some air being "sucked" into the system when it's running.

Please see the picture below for the two options I was thinking off. Which one is the better way of doing it? Let me know if there are better alternatives as well.
Meg Pool Solar.jpg

I would install it between the filter and solar check valve so solar won't drain through the booster and cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.