Which CYA Level to Shock at 40 or 50?

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Yesterday, I finally got my CYA levels up to 40, which means I was able to get my FC levels up to 16 to do the SLAM process to clear up my cloudy pool water. Water is looking clearer, but still not crystal, so I'm thinking just stay with it until I see the results I want.

One question. A few times, when I repeated the test (kit said you could dump the water from the CYA View Tube back into the CYA Mixing Bottle and pour in again) it looked like I might be closer to 50. So, basically, I'm getting readings between 40-50 now. I know the test isn't totally on the nose accurate and it's subjective, but given that, is it better to shock at the higher level. Should I bring my FC level up to 20 to try to clear the pool just in case the CYA level really is 50 or is it better to go with the lower number 40 and shock at that level?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.