Intex sand filter keeps blowing small amounts of sand into the pool everyday

Jun 27, 2016
West Warwick, RI
Hello!

New here. We have an Intex Ultra Frame 14 X 42 that came with the crappy little filter that comes standard. We upgraded to the Intex Crystal Clear Sand filter and pump. This is stupid and probably our problem but when my husband filled it, it came to just about 2 inches below the min fill line with the 50 pounds of #20 sand that we purchased for it. My husband made the call to run it and add some sand when we buy it this week. Everything runs perfectly on it but it blows sand back into the pool everyday. Small amounts, but enough to be vacuumed daily. At least 2 to 3 oz. What would be causing this and will it most likely stop when we add the sand up to the minimum fill level? Thanks

Hello! :wave: A couple things for you to consider:
- Did you fill the filter halfway with water "before" dumping the sand in? If not, the weight of the sand could have separated a lateral inside.
- Did you backwash and rinse the new sand really well? That's very important to help it settle.

Hello!

New here. We have an Intex Ultra Frame 14 X 42 that came with the crappy little filter that comes standard. We upgraded to the Intex Crystal Clear Sand filter and pump. This is stupid and probably our problem but when my husband filled it, it came to just about 2 inches below the min fill line with the 50 pounds of #20 sand that we purchased for it. My husband made the call to run it and add some sand when we buy it this week. Everything runs perfectly on it but it blows sand back into the pool everyday. Small amounts, but enough to be vacuumed daily. At least 2 to 3 oz. What would be causing this and will it most likely stop when we add the sand up to the minimum fill level? Thanks

I changed my Intex filter sand 3 times. Different brand each time. I did everything correctly, all three times. Unfortunately, It still put sand in my pool. I replaced it with a Hayward sand filter and so far it is much better. Still trying to get all of the sand out of my pool, but getting better each day. It seems to be hit or miss with these Intex sand filters. Some put sand in pool, and others have great luck with them.

Scott

Hello! :wave: A couple things for you to consider:
- Did you fill the filter halfway with water "before" dumping the sand in? If not, the weight of the sand could have separated a lateral inside.
- Did you backwash and rinse the new sand really well? That's very important to help it settle.

The video instructions didn't say anything about adding water before sand. My husband did check the laterals before pouring in small amounts of sand, so I don't think that's it. We didn't backwash or rinse the first time running the filter and did have quite a bit of sand after the first startup. We have done to backwash cleanings so far as per regular weekly maintenance, but it hasn't solved the sand blowing problem. Maybe I'll just look into a Hayward sand filter. They seem to come highly recommended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.