Air in Return - New Filter??

Sep 10, 2015
NC
My equipment is old but I have only owned the house for two years. Last year I replaced the multi-port valve with this (Top Mount Thread-Praher (tm-12-a) - INYOPools.com
)

All worked well last year.

Starting this year (after winter), there is constantly air in my return. I have to prime the pump before I start it as the water drains from the pump overnight.

I removed the multi-port and the o-ring is perfect. I cleaned off anything that I thought could be an issue. I reinstalled the multi-port and added teflon tape and added new piping from the ground up.

Still there is air in the line and lose of suction each morning.

I noticed a soft spot on my sand filter that stays wet.

Occasionally I still see a few drops of water where the multi-port and filter meet.

Sometimes, not often, when I shut off the pump there are a lot of air bubbles that rush back to the skimmer basket. Enough to move around the basket and cover.

Water level is an inch below the top of the skimmer face.

The o-lid around the basket lid has been replaced. I did not replace the lid as it appears to be fine.

What does this sound like to you? What would be your next step? The multi-port is on very tight. More tape or should I try something else?

Thanks

Leaks on or around the filter could cause the system to drain overnight and cause the pump to need re-priming, but it won't cause air bubbles in the basket once the pump primes.

Bubbles in the pump strainer basket indicates a leak between the pool and the impeller of the pump. Common sources are the strainer lid O-ring, and the strainer drain plug washer or O-ring. Both of those should be checked for condition, lubricated with pool lube and tightened appropriately.

If that doesn't fix it, look to be sure your skimmer weir is swinging properly and that your pool water is at the proper level with no vortex or noises in the skimmer.

If the above don't help you out, check out Suction Side Air Leaks

I have not looked at the drain plug but will do so.

The ring on the basket lid is new but I'll do the test and pour water on it to see if that happens to prevent bubbles.

The skimmer weir appears to be working as it should. It floats and isn't stuck or blocked nor is their a vortex that I have ever saw. No noise either.

Yeah, I didn't do that. I do not have any pool lubricant. Do you have a suggestion for something around the house that will work such as Vaseline?

No! Not Vaseline. It will cause the gasket to deteriorate. Water can help temporarily. What you are trying to do is allow the O-ring to slide as the lid is attached and the O-ring expands. You don't want it to roll or grab and get pulled out of position.

Good to know. So I will have to order something instead of use what I have around the house?

UPDATE: I tightened the drain plug earlier and I did not see a difference. Went outside just now and at first I thought my pump was messed up. I was used to hearing the returns and seeing the air bubbles that it appeared broken when they were not there. That said, everything appears to be working correctly now.

Tomorrow morning I will know if I need to reprime the pump. I hope not as this prevents me from using my timer that I just had installed.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.