Pollen or Algae???

Jun 7, 2015
Wamego/KS
I have been keeping my FC around 4 since opening slam. I have noticed some yellow looking stains on the bottom. They brush away into a cloud of yellow. The water then turns a light shade of green. I am keeping PH around 7.5, however it was up over 8 when i tested yesterday so added acid to bring back down. Have not shown any CC since opening slam, even last this morning showed 0 CC. Not sure how to proceed since I am not sure what is going on. If it was algae would I be getting some CC reading? It appears to just settle on the bottom in crevices again after sweeping. Would the filter not get it out if it was pollen? Suggestions???

I have been keeping my FC around 4 since opening slam. I have noticed some yellow looking stains on the bottom. They brush away into a cloud of yellow. The water then turns a light shade of green. I am keeping PH around 7.5, however it was up over 8 when i tested yesterday so added acid to bring back down. Have not shown any CC since opening slam, even last this morning showed 0 CC. Not sure how to proceed since I am not sure what is going on. If it was algae would I be getting some CC reading? It appears to just settle on the bottom in crevices again after sweeping. Would the filter not get it out if it was pollen? Suggestions???

I don't think algae necessarily causes CC, but it will consume FC quicker than you expect. Raise your FC to SLAM Level, brush & vacuum, and do an OCLT. The results will tell you a lot.

I normally try to keep FC around 4 with my CYA at 30. I usually just check it in the evening after the kids are done swimming and add the needing amount of bleach to bring it to 4. It is typically close to 0 at that point. We have kids swimming most days so would that eat up the FC as well? I brought to shock level this morning and will do the same at lunch. Will do the OCLT tonight and see what results I get. Thanks

So...on days when we have unusually high number of swimmers do you recommend bringing to shock level for the night even if everything looks good as a preventative measure? Or do you only bring to shock level when you are experiencing issues such as mine?

Right now you need to follow the slam process until you pass the three criteria to stop.

But going forward you'll need to check the FC once per day but you need to make sure you dose high enough such that it is not below the minimum the next day when you test.

If you are expecting high use you should be bumping up the FC few part per million beforehand so that it doesn't drop too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.