Going away for a week for the first time!

May 11, 2016
Cville, tn
Good Morning TFP! Just made my first small donation. Thank you all very much for all you do for us newbs!

So Im in west TN, and its been HOT, like index's of 105+, ambient temps of 95 for about the last three weeks. Pool has been doing amazing at self regulating, I've been testing weekly, life has been good! Swimming in it too! Whoda thought?!? Water temps are hovering 88-90. We just had a big storm come through yesterday for the first time in a week or so and...I went to test last night and WHAM, pH was 7.0 ( was 7.5 about 4 days ago), all other values acceptable. Went and got Mule Team Borax, put in 12 lbs.

Ok so Im leaving tonight at 5 for a week. Levels are as follows at 8AM CST:

FC: 5
CC:0
pH: 8.0
TA:90
CYA: 35
CH:250

What I think I've learned so far reading since April:

My CL levels are good ( and water looks to agree)
MY pH was obviously low and now is high ( shooting for 7.4-7.6 and my SWG pool should tend to creep up over time)
By putting in Borax, my pH spiked but that also had a small increasing impact on my TA levels correct?
My CH is probably on the bottom end of acceptable level for gunite.
And my CYA is low, should be targeting something closer to 70.

My thoughts this morning with the calculators help:
is to go get a gallon of MA to knock PH back down to 7.5. This will get pH in check.
At the same time, I can raise my CYA since my CL levels are in check.
Should I mess with CH levels at this time or can it be done at the same time?

Thanks again all!

Last edited:
Adjust the pH, the CH is fine where it is but if you want to bump it up by 50ppm you can. I would adjust it after the pH is adjusted, in fact I would wait until after the trip to raise the CH. Raise the CYA to about 60. You can lower pH and start the CYA addition by putting it in a clean white sock tied off in the skimmer basket at the same time. Give the sock a few good squeezes to help the CYA dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.