Pentair filter opinions and plumbing advice

firstladykatie

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2013
Anyone know very much about Pentair sand filter varieties or have any of these? I am buying equipment for a new 34k gallon DIY pool, and planning the plumbing is the trickiest part for me so far.

1) BARGAIN OPTION: Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 is $350 75gpm/3.5sq ft (this is $100 less than I paid for a new 24" Sta-Rite 3.1sq ft/70gpm which I plan to return today because iI think it is possibly too small for my 34k gallons and Pentair VS Superflo pump's head curve on gpm)

2) MIDDLE GROUND: Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 with Clear Pro technology is $460 75gpm/3.5sq ft (some threads I read on here sound like the Clear Pro feature is worthwhile? Maybe if I don't ante up for the BIG 4.9 sq ft (for $400 more by the time I buy valve, etc), this would be a worthwhile choice??

3) BIGGER OPTION: Amazon has listed: "Pentair Triton C High-Capacity (Residential) Side Mount (no valve or unions) is $593 98gpm/4.9sq ft", but I cannot find anything about it on Pentair's website. I don't know why it is marked "residential" whereas the other TR100's I have priced seem to be labeled 4.9 and 70 gpm, and also seem to be more expensive. I am interested in the big jump in sq ft filtration area and side mount (a plus if I stick it under the deck), but I'd like to know if Triton C actually stands for commercial and why the residential unit would have higher gpm. If this is some mistake, I am also interested in the Pentair TA100, if I could just find it at a great price.

I'm also interested in opinions on plumbing. I will have one skimmer downwind of the prevailing SSE winds (still debating a standard Hayward above ground model that would be easier to install against larger in-ground outside-mount, especially if experienced plumbing folks tell me the extra inches on its weir-opening make a significant difference in intake capacity???). I am planning to have 2 returns. My tentative plan is 2" pipe from skimmer to pump, and 1.5" pipe to the returns. Does this sound right? If I attach a sketch of where I'm planning to place it, is anyone interested in helping me figure out placement pro's and con's?

Thanks in advance!

Residential and commercial use different target flow rates. Residential is 20 GPM/sq-ft while commerical is 15 GPM/sq-ft. Max flow rate where you might be concerned about damage to the filter is over 25 GPM/sq-ft.

An extra wide skimmer mouth does not increase it's "capacity" what ever that means. The head loss in the skimmer is going to be determined by the bucket area and pipe attached to it. The amount of debris it holds will also be determined by the bucket area.

However, the advantage of a width mouth skimmer is that it perhaps will capture more debris than a narrow mouth skimmer but that is pure speculation. A smaller weir could actually have higher surface velocity so it might work better from that respect. I would go with what is easier to install.

These are the specs on the 2 skimmers, according to the salesman. The small one is a "wide-mouth" model, but the larger one simply has a larger opening and basket.

SP1091WM above-ground Dyna-Skimmer (the smaller one, which was $89? with accessories I will not need because we are using in-ground returns instead)

-Smaller Basket 5-5/8" x 3-3/8" diameter basket
-Smaller Weir Opening width 5" wide
-8 pounds (with all accessories), Lighter plastic construction (Basket, Lid, skimmer body)
-less clearance of water level under lid when pool is full the water is near the lid level.

SP10841 in-ground pool Auto-Skimmer (the bigger one, which was $141 without accessories)

-Bigger Basket 6.5" x 5" deep basket
-Larger Weir Opening 7-3/4" wide
-13 pounds, Heavy duty construction Heavier plastic parts
-Designed for higher flow rates and wont likely vortex the water sucking in air like a whirlpool.
-2 ports on skimmer bottom (1 could be used for auto overflow drain line, to prevent water overflow through skimmer or over walls)
-More clearance for water level under lid. prevents splash out from rough water play

Designed for higher flow rates and wont likely vortex the water sucking in air like a whirlpool.
That I would agree with as perhaps the biggest advantage of the larger skimmer. But on the flip side, it could mean less skimming too.

One more option you might consider is a venturi skimmer. You substitute one of the returns for the skimmer. They work really well on lower speed pumps. Not sure though if they come in an AG version.

I had an SD 80 on an 18' Round pool years ago. Also had the wide mouth skimmer. Great combination. Other than big leaves, nothing ever stopped it from keeping the pool clean. Very good setup in my opinion. I had the ribbed hoses, never hard plumbed. I have a Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter arriving today to replace my aging Douhgboy sand filter. I am hoping it proves as reliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.