greenisn grey and cloudy

May 21, 2008
Good Morning

Just wondered if you have any ideas how to clear up my water.
Opened Friday and have been runnign filter 24/7...vacuumed to waste and have been running my robotic almost constantly

my numbers are as follows:
FC 20
PH 7.0
TA 80
Hardness 150
CYA 40

Holding chlorine over night and all day
shocking too
using skimmer socks and picking up dead algae in them

thanks in advance for any ideas :-D

Did you do the PH test when the FC level was around 20? High FC levels tend to make the PH read higher than it actually is, so I suspect that your PH is way too low. I recommend that you let the FC level fall to 10 or lower, and then adjust the PH to be between 7.2 and 7.6, and then go back to shock level.

It can take the filter up to a week, or more, to clear up the water after the algae is all dead. Have you been watching the filter pressure and backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed? If you haven't cleaned/backwashed the filter yet I would do that now. If the algae is all dead, you should see a visible improvement in the water each day.

The PH test was done at high FC levels so I will let the Fc go down and test again.
We have cartridge filters and the first 24 hours we cleaned quite a few times. Now we're down to twice per day.
Filter pressure has not gone up past 20 since the first day when we had most of the "junk" in the pool

Thank you...will post numbers again after we check PH.

frasermom,

Just for emphasis, I'm requoting Jason.......

I recommend that you let the FC level fall to 10 or lower, and then adjust the PH to be between 7.2 and 7.6, and then go back to shock level.
Get right back up to shock once you've corrected/verified your pH.

You were doing everything just about right and your pool will clear. It's just gonna' take a little more time but it's important to hold the FC at shock level until your water is crystal clear.

will floc help?
Most of us on this forum would not use it. If it does coagulate the particles and they sink to the pool bottom, you then have to vacuum them up CAREFULLY.

It may make the process somewhat quicker, others report no affect whatsoever.

It's one of those things that won't hurt your pool if you decide to try it but it has mixed results.

My suggestion would be to stay the course.

Floc can work if your system allows you to vacuum to waste, but even then it costs money and is a significant amount of work. I recommend giving the filter time to do it's job. It may take the filter several days to clear up the water, but you should see a visible improvement each day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.