OK to refinish in Fall?

Jun 27, 2016
New York, NY
Hi All,

Long time lurker in the forums and finally got the nerve toraise my hand. I moved into a new home last year with a beautiful pool in the Bronx in New York. It’s very rare to have a pool in the area so we thought itwas very special.

The woman whom we bought the house from hadn’t done anymajor work to the pool in probably 30 years. Despite this, the pool was in verygood condition. It has a bluestone surface that looks very pretty but is prettyrough. The kids ended up with a bunch of little cuts.
At the end of last season we decided to do a resurfacing.Our pool guy (the same one the woman was using) recommended a tile borderaround the pool and then a marble dust finishing of the rest. He said we’ddrain the pool and do the work in the Spring (maybe March or April).

The pool didn’t end up drained until about three weeks about(early June). Then the mason failed to show multiple times. Today I finallygot fed up and canceled the project and started refilling the pool. We don’tget that many pool weekends in this area and I didn’t want to lose another.

Here is my question: Can I do the refinishing in the fallafter the season is over or should I wait again for next Spring? I don’t want tolose more pool time next year, so if it is safe to do, I’d rather get it doneprior to the winter. I realize, I’d be wasting some water, but it’s a price I’dbe willing to pay. The pool guy says it is better to do it in the Spring so youavoid the winter.

Thanks for your help.

Here is the pool:
fullpool.jpgemptypool.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

That is a great, old pool! I agree that it is better to resurface in the spring so that you can better manage the first 30 to 60 days of the start up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.