New sand filter and I don't have a clue

Jun 30, 2015
raleigh/nc
I switched out my little Intex pump that came with the pool to a Hayward VL series sand filter/pump. I had got a little Shark to help clean the bottom of the pool and that's why stepped up in size to a 1 HP. Now I have less pressure than before. Intake and return are both way down. My PSI gauge is at 4... My sight glass has about 3/8ths of a inch of sand in it. I have the filter sitting on a stand with the top of it approx 1& 1/2 feet below the water level. My neighbor came down and confirmed that I had everything connected properly.
Please help me! Sally

I switched out my little Intex pump that came with the pool to a Hayward VL series sand filter/pump. I had got a little Shark to help clean the bottom of the pool and that's why stepped up in size to a 1 HP. Now I have less pressure than before. Intake and return are both way down. My PSI gauge is at 4... My sight glass has about 3/8ths of a inch of sand in it. I have the filter sitting on a stand with the top of it approx 1& 1/2 feet below the water level. My neighbor came down and confirmed that I had everything connected properly.
Please help me! Sally
Hello Sally,
Could you post some pictures of your pool equipment? It could help with the diagnosis.

I know you said the neighbor confirmed your setup, but are you sure you are on 'Filter' and not 'Recirculate'?

Have you confirmed that all positions of the multi-port valve work as labeled?

Check to see that there is no water coming out the waste port when you are set to filter or recirculate.

Check that there is no water coming from the out (to pool) port when set to backwash, rinse, or waste.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.